Changed HPOP o-rings

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I changed the HPOP o-rings... I was leaking real bad, and after several times of trying to go a little tighter on the fitting and it still was leaking I decided it was time to just get the o-rings.

To start with I had asked on here about what o-ring size I needed and a coupel people responded... So I set out on the town looking for a #6 Viton o-ring... well actually three of them...

Anyways, after no luck of finding them anywhere in town... I give up and go to the Ferd dealer.... You won't believe what they wanted (and got) for a set of 3 o-rings..... all said and done... $41

The job to change them wasn't that bad, but now the truck is starting hard. My thought was that with all the oil that drained out of HPOP that I need to purge it or refill it... Would this be correct? Does it self purge?

Just looking for thoughts and ideas..

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of air got in there....have you removed the hex head plug in the top of the resivour---drivers side--?
Is it full?

Mine lit after quite a few turns and then took a couple days to really purge all the air thru daily driving.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

Geonc, no I hadn't looked in the resivour... I will check it .. Just to be safe.

I was hoping that it would purge itself... which it seems to have done, I did like SS-Deisel said and ran it somewhat hard down to Parker and back... I had to install some parts on a network

By the time I got back home it seems to be starting better and things seems smoother.

Now here is something I don't even know if it is possible or not .... but on the fitting closest to the front of the motor, when I pulled the fitting and then the spring, I would have swore the spring was in backwards. Is it possible for the truck to even run like that?? Maybe I am remembering wrong....

Could it have come from the factory like this? This truck only has around 53,000 miles on it, so it's not like anyone else would have touched those orings before now... My BIL bought the truck new, then my MIL bought it from him, so I know eveyone who has owned the truck and what has been done to it...

Also I just remembered that only one oring was leaking.. the one towards the back of the motor... not the plug just the back fitting. I still replaced them all, but I wasn't sure if there was something that might make only one of them develop a leak.