Champion replacement

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I mentioned on another thread yesterday, my champion radiator has sprung a leak. New one should be here in the next day or two.
There is a threaded plug on one end and I would like to utilize that port on the new radiator as a drain.
Does anyone know what size and thread type that is? I'd like to mount a 1/4 turn valve and have a nice quick method for radiator draining.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's a 1/2 inch hole but I also know that it's a weird thread, because the heater hose return fitting wouldn't fit it when I installed it a few months ago

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a metric M16 x 1.5 threaded plug. You may be able to adapt ti to use a npt drain plug using this fitting:
https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/aluminum-thread-adapter-m16-38npt.html

By the way, how old was your Champion before it started leaking? Mine made about 4 years.
Thanks, appreciate the info. I wasn't sure if HD would have what I needed to fit the radiator but that petcock is useless and messy when draining the radiator.
I'd much rather fab up a nice big valve that I could slide a hose on when the time comes and drain it fast.

I installed this 4 row back in August. Not sure where it's leaking but the fan is slinging coolant all over the engine into a gummy mess.
I'll investigate more when I get it out and cleaned up