Carrier bearing

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
I usually hang out one forum down but I'm helping a friend with her '99. It probably doesn't matter as the drive line stuff should be the same, but I'm posting here anyways....

She claims the truck was making a terrible grinding noise when moving. Her hubby diagnosed the problem as the carrier bearing. Seems reasonable to me based on what she told me.

I did some searching here and saw that Tonkadoc said he'd never do one again. Sounds like blue tipped smoke wrenches & BFHs are the order of the day. Her hubby picked up a new bearing, with the housing it sounds like (I won't know for sure until tomorrow afternoon when I get over there to help). I found this site with a few pics: http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/slipjoint.htm

The way it looks to me is that there are two bolts threaded into the frame there. If that's the same setup, what's the hard part if he has the entire housing and not just the bearing? Looks like an impact wrench and some PB ought to take that unit off. Am I missing something major here? Hubby has already removed the drive shaft and assured me that he marked the orientation so we can get it back in phase when done.

If he doesn't have the entire housing, is it as simple as taking the bearing assembly to a shop (we don't have any presses big enough) to press the old out & the new bearing in?

Oh yeah, she also tells me now that her E-brake doesn't "ding ding ding" when she drives off with the E-brake on. I figure on pulling one side of wheels (crew cab dually, 4x2) off and checking the shoes to see if they're toast and if not, adjusting the brakes to normal gaps. I haven't seen it yet to tell you if she broke a cable or what. Sounds to me like she's smoked the shoes at least and that we may be looking at all new brakes on the rears.

Thanks for any info all,
Mike
( for this problem: '99 F350 CC, 4x2, auto (4r100? E4od?), no idea on gears.)

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Not sure about the carrier bearing.... but I don't think my truck dings when I drive with the E-brake on... it's a 2002... There are times where I will back it out with the brake on and when I go to move forward I notice the brake holding me back.... but I don't recall any notice that I am driving with the brake on.... as in the ding... ding.... ding..

I will have to go try and see.... I know the light on the dash stay's lit, showing the brake is engaged...

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I guess I should have worded the e-brake stuff better...her truck did used to ding when driven off with the brake on. It stopped at some point (dinging). She drove some number of miles (she couldn't recall of course) with the e-brake on. That's why I'm planning on pulling the rears to see what damage she did.

It's definitely a hair color thing :angel: (I told her as much) :rotflmao

Mike

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
It's definitely a hair color thing :angel: (I told her as much) :rotflmao

Mike

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

as you said.... how much ebrake was applied and distance traveled will determine the amount of damage to rears...

I would be inclined to guess that maybe the brake wasn't engaged that far if she drove it a while like that.... so there is a good chance that not much was done....