Can I put a 5.9 on an engine stand?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a guy selling a huge engine stand, probably 40 years old rated at 2000 lbs. I'm assuming it will hold up a 5.9? Is it ok to hang a 5.9 off a stand?

One other thing, the bolt pattern for the bell housing on the back of the 5.9 seems to be too large/far appart for the mounting plate on the stand, anyone else had to deal with this? Thinking of bolting a larger plate to the stand plate to make it work.

Thanks,

-Rob

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep you can hang one on a stand just make sure the bolts and plate can stand the stress. I would go with grade 8 hardware and 1/4" plate. It should ring in at around 1000 lbs or or less fully dressed.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never, ever put a 5.9 on an engine stand using the block adapter!!!!! The block adapter will break and you could literally die or kill someone else. If you have to mount it to the rear of the engine remove the block adapter first and bolt directly to the block. The cummins engines are supposed to be mounted off the mid-side mounting pads on an engine stand.

The bare VE longblock weighs around 1050 and a P7100 motor weighs around 1100. Fully dressed with flywheel and accesories a 5.9 can easily weigh over 1400 pounds. A 5.9 and bigger Allison can weigh close to a ton.

My advice is if you cannot properly mount it to a stand work on it on the ground. I have four large engine stands that will support a medium duty engine and still find myself doing major repairs on these engines on the ground or with the engine hanging from a jib crane. I've done complete bearing/ring jobs on several 3.9 and 5.9's sitting on the shop floor. I like to use 4X12 wood blocks under each end of the block with the pan removed stacked about 18" high. This will let you work on everything except actually removing the crankshaft and timing housing.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it is ok to remove the block adapter (assuming thats the thing around the flywheel?) then bolt directly to the block? Meaning it will be hanging in the air so I can rotate it.

If that is not safe I can fab up a rotating support for the front so I can still rotate it, sound ok?

Thanks,

-Rob

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it ok to hang it off the stand if I bolt directly to the block or do I need to support the front as well?

Thanks,

-Rob

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the stand. The stands that I use to hold these engines are built from .375" wall 3" A36 square tube, the mounting and rotating portion is 3" T1 solid stock through 3" ID 4" DOM tubing with a 1" T1 mounting face and adjustable arms burned from 1" T1. Even built this heavy with a bare 5.9 mounted from the rear block face it droops a couple inches under the weight.

Just use common sense.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been cruising the equipment auctions for years. OTC 1735A is one of the better stands out there on the market. bad part is that they're pricey.
like $4k kinda pricey new. My first one I bought for $40 because everyone else was napping when the bid came up. The second one I paid a little more...$150.
here's the linky;Sweet
http://www.otctools.com/products/heavy-duty_motor-rotor_repair_stand

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do it on the ground if you don't have a very stout stand. If you make a forward support it's going to cover the timing cover and make just about everything except pulling the head or pan very difficult. If I just need to pull the pan I do it in the air hanging from a chain. If I just need to pull the head I do it sitting on blocks on the ground.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stand looks pretty tough, biggest one I have ever seen, it's huge, looks old and super heavy duty. It is pretty long and has a spot on the front for an extra front engine support to bolt to it. The plate that bolts to the engine block is 1" thick, it is rated at 2000lbs Its made by blackhawk model ES200. I'll probably weld a couple gussets to it just to be safe. My main question was weather or not it was ok for the cummins block to hang on the stand or if I was risking cracking something. I usualy put a block under the oil pan for the extra support when I have any engine on a stand.

-Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7