C6 gear-vendor

tractorman86

Reaction score
So a Guy I know has an 86 f250 2wd supercab longbed 6.9 c6 with a GV. he said if I can come up with a stock tailshaft and driveline for his truck I can have the grear-vendor. the question is, is there any difference in a diesel tranny and a bigblock tranny? Also does anyone have a spare driveline for that application that I could buy?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the GV is mounted seperate, the C6 has a special tail shaft to mount the GV to it. Don't know how you would do that, might even take two shafts with a center mount bearing. Diesel trannies have a different bell housing than a gasser.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right the guy wants a stock C6 2wd Tailshaft, hmm I might be willing to part with what you need, if that's just the stock tailshaft for the 2wd C6. I think Oldbull is right that there's a special GV adapter for every specific transmission. I've also heard the C6 and the ZF5 share a spline count and at least with the DNE2 boxes use the same adapter. Looks like you are 2wd too so maybe you can just swap with him and call it good. Let me know if you'd like to try to work something out.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I am 4wd so I know I will have to buy an adapter but for the price I don't think I can pass it up even of I just sell it

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I could help, but all my C6's are 4X4. I DID have a 2WD C6, but I used it. Just go out and buy a used C6 at a junkyard. Whatever it costs, will still be less than what that GV is worth.

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Ive been kicking around the idea of doing a GV instead of my zf swap. But I need to find someone that wants to trade a zf5 setup for a Gv that will fit my t19 and transfer case.

I dont know where Arlington is, but I have access to at least the correct driveshaft you need.

Let me know if that will help.

EDIT: come to think of it...the C6 still may be there also. I know the driveshaft is because I saw it 3 days ago when I was at my friend place, but I will have to check on the trans...

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get this setup and dont use the c6 adapter I will buy it from you. I have been looking for one so I can put my GV in my truck. I would pay cash and send you my Chevy 400 adapter so maybe you could do some trading or use it for a core exchange on a new 4x4 adapter or what ever you need. They give $300 for a core.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will get a tail housing today when I go to the junkyard also. Hope theirs no difference in gas or diesel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A year ago I bought a spare GV off a C6 that was in an 85 6.9. The tail shaft adapter just bolts directly in place of the common tail shaft. Its the same length at the stock tail shaft. So... Any stock C6 behind an 6.9 or 7.3 idi will work for you. I can't say of a big block C6 has the same tail shaft housing. When I bought my setup the pick a parts old counter guy saw only the tail shaft as I was trying to lift it so he could see what I had when some @sshat behind me got all jiggy looking at the GC. He hells out "WOW... Look at that gear vendors there".....:eek:-cuss:mad::backoff The counter guy had just said "one C6 tail shaft... That'll be $16.00"......:eek::angel: No I was not trying to steal a great deal not the guy behind me made sure I was going to pay for what I had... I told him to shut the #uck up... He wouldn't... Kept saying how lucky I was to get the gv... I ended up paying around $70.00 for the tail shaft and gv but... The fool behind me was out of line. I never did get the chance to tell the counter guy what I had... I looked for the @sshat in the parking lot but... He disappeared into thin air.... So short story long.... A tail shaft housing might cost you very little in a pick n pulll yard.....

tractorman86

Reaction score
Ive been kicking around the idea of doing a GV instead of my zf swap. But I need to find someone that wants to trade a zf5 setup for a Gv that will fit my t19 and transfer case.

I dont know where Arlington is, but I have access to at least the correct driveshaft you need.

Let me know if that will help.

EDIT: come to think of it...the C6 still may be there also. I know the driveshaft is because I saw it 3 days ago when I was at my friend place, but I will have to check on the trans...

Great see if it is there. How much do you want for the both of them if it is all there? We are just about. 50mi. SW of Phoenix off i10

tractorman86

Reaction score
If you get this setup and dont use the c6 adapter I will buy it from you. I have been looking for one so I can put my GV in my truck. I would pay cash and send you my Chevy 400 adapter so maybe you could do some trading or use it for a core exchange on a new 4x4 adapter or what ever you need. They give $300 for a core.

That sounds like a deal, when I get it ill pm you. Check some shipping costs to and from buckeye 85326 if you could please and we can iron out any other details from there. I figure one core is as good as another

tractorman86

Reaction score
LOL I remember that thread, i would have pummeled that Guy then and there. That was just a TOTAL richard cranium move and had to have been intentional

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Great see if it is there. How much do you want for the both of them if it is all there? We are just about. 50mi. SW of Phoenix off i10

Ill check this weekend. And let you know.

I am 3 hours east of Phoenix. Little over an hour east of Globe. Or, coming on I10, I am 1 1/2 hours east of Tucson.

If that GV unit will adapt to my transfer case, and other deals dont pan out...let me know, Ill deal with ya on it.