C6 Cooling Question

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a really stupid question - apologies if so. I was looking at the Derale cooler recommended by RLDSL and was wondering how you'd hook it up. Do you wire it in conjunction with the OEM radiator cooling, such as

(fluid flow)
Tranny ---> radiator ----> cooler ---> tranny

or, since people who swap to manuals seem to feel that their engines run cooler without the auto tranny fluid circulating through, can I get away with just the Derale unit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15850/)? Is there a definitive answer on the best setup, or is it just people's preference?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I would go like you said.

Tranny --> Radiator --> Cooler --> Tranny.

I've never heard of automatics running hotter than standard tranny trucks.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I would go like you said.

Tranny --> Radiator --> Cooler --> Tranny.

I've never heard of automatics running hotter than standard tranny trucks.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always install coolers like that. 2 coolers is better than 1. I always get the biggest cooler that will fit in the nose.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If 2 coolers are instelled they should be plumbed inparralell NOT in series!! This allows for less flow restriction.
I run 2 coolers 26,000 lb.size.I don't run them thru the radiator,I have heard that it cools the tranny too much. On the other hand I have been all trough The Northeast in the coldest part of the winter.No problems except that the trannsmision is programed not to shift normally till it warms up. Because I always warm it up -no problems. If I take off as soon as the engine has oil pressure it just takes a little longer to be able to shift normally. This taken into considerationI hadvhad excellent results in trans mission longevity. I feel it is hard to keep one to cool.

My 2 Bits Mrbill