C-6 to T-19 swap?

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
As most of you mite know I'm doing a frame up resto/mod on my 89 f-250. I have a T-19 with a bell housing and fly-wheel from my 88 6.9L parts truck so I've got all the little stuff covered, But I'm wondering if I can use my C-6 cross member and drive lines with the T-19:dunno from what I've read it sounds like i can but I would like to know before I start cleaning up and paint the cross member and drive lines.

Thanks for any help;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect you might have to change the length of the drive shafts and of course swap in your pedal assy. If it's from a 86 with a 6.9L I suspect the pedal assy won't work. If the parts truck actually is an 88 then you're golden with that too. FYI the body style change was sufficient in 87 to mean that 86 and earlier pedal assemblies won't work with 87-91, don't know about 92-98(pre super duty) but I know that the 87 and later and the 86 and earlier pedals don't swap. Also for your correct body style, it need not be a diesel or even a T18/19 for the correct pedal assy. Crossmembers are exactly the same IIRC. I think the T18/19 are a little shorther than the C6, but it isn't a big difference. My driveshafts ended up being too short and I had to have new ones made. Maybe you can scavenge the ones from your parts truck and get by with that. Lots of options, just remember to have the driveshaft rebalanced if you change it. Cheap insurance.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
Yeah the parts truck it a 88 cc f-350 4x4 with no axles.-cuss But it has all the little pedal stuff I need.:D Thanks for the info;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, it's all going to be easy then, excep MAYBE the driveshafts. We'll have to see. Best of luck to you. My swap became a nightmare because I was not competentto do the work myself at the time so I paid a real mechanic friend with a nice shop to help out. My donor tranny had a bad gear and idler so I had to find another 4 speed in the junkyard. Also I was bound and determined to not use the hydraulic clutch system these trucks had so I paid him a good deal of money to modify my bellhousing to accept a mechanical clutch system from an early 80s F100. The good part about that is that I never have to worry about a MC or slave cylinder leaving me stuck on the road the bad part is it was a lot of detail, a lot of labor and of course a one of part, so if it breaks that's not going to be very good. The driveshaft I believe on my truck had to be lengthened to work so I had a new set made (expen$ive) and I wound up having to pay to get it balanced at another shop plus fix where we screwed up by torching the carrier bearing off the driveshaft to replace it. Bad memories, but I am really as thrilled as I can be with the swap, I just much prefer driving around a manual and having the gasser tranny with the wide ratio its just asking for me to put mt Spicer brownie box behind it, but it's going to have to wait awhile I guess. Just had to buy tires.