C-15 questions packrat?

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
OK well we just picked up a BRAND NEW shinny 2006 Kenworth T-800 heavy haul. :thumbsup: fitted with a C15, 18 spd 52,000lb. drives 22,000 lb. front with floatation tires. Full gauges the works every thing but leather seats. Really sweet looking gauges too like the new escalates. Installed Protech headache rack and tool boxes tool boxes. installed the new Cozad ramps out back with an 80K pintle and a 2" receiver for the ski boat. (not kidding either) cookoo

The HP is currently rated at 475Hp for break in. When it gets a few miles on the clock were going to turn up to 575Hp. Truck has 3200 miles on it as of today. Dual stacks and filters pulling less than 8 Inches of water on the air filter restriction gauge.

Truck pulls well for a 475hp new kitty anyway but is kinda doggy on the bottom end of the power band. I read somewhere that theres a plug in map sensor mod that wakes these things up down low. Being a heavy haul it needs a little more grunt to get things moving. Any one know where to get this harness?

That and were looking for the most MPG and life out of this truck.

I heard mention of through flow mufflers helping MPG. Also something about a fuel filter head change to a bigger filter and head.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about the MAP sensor mod, yet.

I am aware that removing the catalyst mufflers will gain some MPG, but I didn't recommend it.(professionally speaking) Check the other thread for part numbers, and such. Maybe drop Apex a PM. He's got the part numbers, and experience in this matter.

I know there are changes you can make to the cruise, governor, and jake settings that will help driveability. I just did some config changes on our newest 379 today.

I suppose that different fuel numbers would net some mileage, but I'm not privy to that info. See if you can find a Cat tech that will give you the personality module for an emergency upfit unit.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
http://www.hayesperformanceparts.com/Photos.html

Finally after some digging around I found the harness I spoke of.

For $140 just might do the trick.

Were going easy on it for the first couple of months. Just got out of the truck 15 min ago now 4140 miles on it. After 15,000 or so salesman said he would arrange to upgrade power to 575Hp, At no charge. It was his a my opinion that in a heavy haul especially, that really has to work hard that it should get a little time to loosen up before you really make fire in the liners.

So far the truck is fantastic! I might post some PICS of it later tonight if I get around to it.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Dualie,

I did change out the mufflers to flow thru & picked up about 3/4 of mile per gallon after the fact. I've also had my fuel settings adjusted, put the bigger filter head on ( no noticable difference by the way), unlocked everything in the computer to run wide open, & after about 240,000 miles, she starting to run pretty good!! One thing that will create the illusion of "not enough power" is a setting in the ECM called "soft cruise" MAKE SURE to have that turned off. Truck will pull much better that way. I gotta dig up the muffler #. I post 'em here when I find it.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The part #'s are Donaldson M100465 or Walker 22920. I think I put on Donaldson mufflers. In any case, they were about $60.00/muffler. Well worth the money. Getting the shield/grabrail to line back up will be the hardest part.

marktruck

Reaction score
Truck pulls well for a 475hp new kitty anyway but is kinda doggy on the bottom end of the power band. I read somewhere that theres a plug in map sensor mod that wakes these things up down low.

There is a 13k resister modification where you can solder the resister in the map sensor wire to trick the computer into giveing up more fuel but it will bigtime void any & all warrenties try going to pittsburgpower.com instead. pricey but does the same thing.

marktruck

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Its been a while since I checked in here. I have been over at the diesel garage with most of my HD stuff. I put the Donaldsons on the KW and it seems to have picked up 20HP on the seat-o-pants meter. Which is about half a gear on most hills.

Other up sides are it seems to spool a tad quicker and rev a little bit more freely. Its to soon to give a MPG estimate anyway but everyone i talked to has picked up a min of 0.2 mpg.

The MAP sensor mod wont give you any extra HP Up top at all. It will just throw more fuel down low to get the turbo's to light up faster. The only thing I might mess with in the future might be the fuel temp sensor.

If you fiddle with that and get the truck to think that the fuel in the tank is hotter than it actually is (hotter thinner fuel=Less power in a giving volume) the truck will inject more fuel thinking it needs to compensate for the thin fuel and give more power. The only down side to that mod other than if you get caught your warranty is void, is that as the fuel warms up you will loose that little bit of power you gained till its back at the stock setting.

My truck doesn't pull any where under 1500 RPM but with the 18spd and the 4.11's I can keep it between 1,500 rpm's and 2000 rpm's and she works real good for me right there.

So I just keep it wound up during a pull. Most of the time I'm either under 50,000lbs or over 100,000Lbs And its mostly short haul stuff, less than 100 miles from home base. (read no log book either) I think its maybe spent 2 hours MAX with the cruise set @65 Mph in 18th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online