BW 1356 TC cracked!

romulus

Reaction score
i noticed my TC was leaking fluid, so i replaced the tailshaft bushing and oil seal...... still leaks.

then i noticed that the case was cracked right under the drain plug boss, from the face of the plug to 1/2" toward the front. looks like i put too much teflon tape on it many years ago, hence oversizing the plug and then cracking the threaded boss all the way through. should have used pipe dope instead of teflon tape!-cuss

i'm going to try putting RTV on the inside of the crack, RTV in the threads, and JB weld on the outside. its been draining for 24 hrs, going to clean it with brake cleaner and rough it up so the glue will stick.

does anyone think this has a prayer of working, or am i going to pull that case and replace the whole housing ?

welding may be an option, but i've never had much luck with welding porous castings impregnated with oil.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you handle the truck being down for a couple of days, pull the case apart and drop in to get it welded back up. TIG welding cast cases is not a big challenge with the right equipment.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finding someone who is capable of welding the case could be very interesting, the rear half of all 1356's, and the front of non PTO ones are a magnesium alloy.
For how common they are, I'd skip fixing the case and swap it out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They are easy to weld if you know for sure what the material is. Being that its cracked where it will always have some pressure spreading the crack is going to be a tuff long term fit. If the inside is really cleaned then lots of rtv spread out past the crack will stretch some but... The threads are cracked. Those will never seal properly... Maybe if they were clean and rtv was placed on the plug but.... Everytime you remove the plug you risk a leak again...:sly

romulus

Reaction score
for my first attempt i'm going to bore a thru hole and thread the inside of the plug with a smaller dia thread and JB weld the whole plug in the case so the threads will seal along the crack, basically using the old plug as a threaded insert. then the crack width will stabilize and the JB can get in there.

only downside is the drain hole will be about 3/8 instead of 3/4".

so glad i have a lathe and a mill.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for my first attempt i'm going to bore a thru hole and thread the inside of the plug with a smaller dia thread and JB weld the whole plug in the case so the threads will seal along the crack, basically using the old plug as a threaded insert. then the crack width will stabilize and the JB can get in there.

only downside is the drain hole will be about 3/8 instead of 3/4".

so glad i have a lathe and a mill.

That's the procedure I used, but my first attempt didn't work. What I ended up doing the second time was taking a very small triangle file and filing the crack out into a v. I ran the file in and out of the drain hole to open the crack up, and also opened it up the short distance on the outside of the case. Then I used JB Weld and instead of boring the plug out, I just went to the hardware store and threaded a pipe hex bushing into the case while the JB Weld was still wet, and then bought a smaller plug for the center of the bushing. Veeing out the crack fixed it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finding someone who is capable of welding the case could be very interesting, the rear half of all 1356's, and the front of non PTO ones are a magnesium alloy.
For how common they are, I'd skip fixing the case and swap it out.
here's a magnesium alloy oil pan off a Honda Insight that was welded up at my shop:D.

Attachments

• SL371868.JPG
    SL371868.JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 11

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil pan get a little close to the stinger?
nope.
car went offroading. they're so light, I'm concerned of them bouncing out of the lift.
electric/hybids get to ride on a carrier for GP. I'm set up to isolate them electrically on the carrier. can't do that on a wrecker.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
nope.
car went offroading. they're so light, I'm concerned of them bouncing out of the lift.
electric/hybids get to ride on a carrier for GP. I'm set up to isolate them electrically on the carrier. can't do that on a wrecker.

NICE! I had a vulcan lift I used to sting cars with. Once I had lowered honda I HAD to tow with the wrecker. I did EVERYTHING I could to prevent it...hacked the car up, go the bars under teh wheels as much as possible, went slower than hell and took the main dreag that was just paved but I managed to somehow crack it. Lowered cars do NOT belong on a wheel lift...try telling my old boss that!

But back on track....how wide is the crack in the t case? Mine is cracked too.....but it don't leak.