Brown truck didnt start the other day, bad cables

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well since I've owned this truck it hasnt started well in the winter, like its not getting full cranking power out of the batteries. I thought it was the batteries, but on closer inspection, the cables (both grounds are caroded about 4-5" away from the terminal, and the positive cables are black inside, not carroded but black. I dont know what the black means, but I know that much carrosion is bad. At this point Im looking into just buying new cables from this custombatterycables.com. Because the last time I went in to NAPA and built a set I didnt even get all the cables new (used part of my old cable) and still didnt get out of there for less that $100. And that guys stuff is supposedly bigger gauge.
Upon closer inspection (this truck is my low mile 83) I noticed that these cables are the original ford factory cables, and are cracked all the way down them in some spots.

Should I just replace the whole set?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Without hesitation I would replace them...

You'll continue to fight with them if you do anything else....

I have heard of guys that soak the cables in a mix of baking soda & water then rinse and check... then they seal it all back up with a silicone self sealing tape... but it's not always fool-proof.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
replace them or else your going to be second guessing or self the whole time. i got new cables last year from custombatcable.com and they are built great everything is all sealed up and covered.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well boys, I just placed the order for a full new set of cables. I even tacked on a set of new terminal boots with them. Figured I'd like to have it look as nice as possible.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought the wire from someone on ebay and the terminals from the local napa. i replaced the positive with 2/0 cable and the other with.. same gauge as stock i believe. i paid maybe 60 bucks for it all with shipping.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
At least now, if the cables dont fix the problem, you'll at lease know it has nothing to do with the cables. good choice!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I got the terminal boots installed on all the terminals. So it cost me about $20 over the cost of just the 3 complete cables. But I spent $171, they'll cost you about $155 if you get just the cables.
Thats allot better than cobbling something together at NAPA.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope I made a good choice. Dont want to be the laughing stock of OB.

why would you be the laughing stock of OB? even if they arent the culprit they are still a very good investment, alot of people underestimate the value of a good set of battery cables, especially on these trucks that use so much cranking power.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Welder's cable, now that's the good stuff....Not too expensive and you can buy it by the foot....Solder on your terminals, shrink wrap them and then hit all the connections with dielectric grease or Fluid film once they are tightened up.....Done, end of story for quite a while.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online