Broken tip on a Beru

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that it broke apart, rather than forming one large broken piece is probably a plus. It sounds like what came out, would be more likely to get out with less damage, than a full size tip which could embed itself in the piston top. While swollen tips in Beru's are rare, they are not impossible. However, this failure mode is an improvement on what usually happens.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an aside, does anyone else feel that the Banks nongated turbo's are royal pain in the ass to work around? I like the fact that my wheels are held on by 8 bolts, but why does an airfilter housing need that many? And that thing weighs a ton when lifting it off the motor.

Glad you got it running again. I hate my banks nongated turbo. Its a pretty terrible design as far as I'm concerned. Main issue is that in order to get the airbox back on, you have to simultaneously line up the turbo intake, turbo pressure side, and intake connections at the same time, no fun. I want to put a tube and some sort of cone filter on my turbo, and fabricated my own pressure side connector. Then wouldn't have to mess with that stuff for most jobs.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put a tube and some sort of cone filter on my turbo, and fabricated my own pressure side connector. Then wouldn't have to mess with that stuff for most jobs.

I was pondering the same thing. Build a hat like the ATS uses to connect the compressor to the intake manifold, then run a pipe to a cone filter up next to the radiator that draws in cool air, like the stock trucks of this vintage did.

I'm glad I got a bunch of little pieces. I'm also glad, but cursious at the same time, that the little household handheld vac was able get everything, where the big wet/dry vac wouldn't clean anything up.

kristhewelder

Reaction score
Hi am a new guy that has a similarIown An F350 7.3 c6 trans I love it its a beast.I do some work for the little garage up the road,the owner is not into diesels.he called me and asked me to come look at it cause the motor was stuck.
the guy that owned it said he went get an empty horse came home parked it about a month later he went start it and it locked up tight cooked the
starter. Iput a bar on it and it turn aways backwards.the owner heard the heads might have to come and asked if Iwanted to keep it for the shop bill ,I said shure he got the title signed anknow I own an 91 F350 dually extra cab xlt lariet.any bets on a broken glow plug stopping a piston?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
By bets are cavitation... But you wont know till you open it up. First thing I would do is remove all the glow plugs and bar over the motor. Watch for coolant or rain water squirting out of the glow plug holes. Then all you will know is what cylinders have water in them. Then its finding out why...

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he went to start it with water in the cylinder, it for sure bent a rod. If you had a gp tip in there, it still would have turned over after it crushed the tip. Can't crush water....

Good luck.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a leaking hood seal on my 85 and when it would rain it would leak water onto the breather. on two seperate accasions it leaked water into the cylender and when i started it up it locked the motor up. took all the gp out and spun it over to clean the water out , put plugs back in and fired it up with no ill effects. the motor has been running fine for two years now. i did have to replace the hood seal and seal off the breather bolt but thats water under the bridge now lol.

kristhewelder

Reaction score
thanks for the advice.If it warms up this next week I will see what is going on Why didn't I think of Hydraulic lock due to cavitation? O well I have a good engine put away if I need it.I really enjoy this forum lots of good knowledge.thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828