Broken shock mount, anyone have this happen?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How easy is it to push the shock in when it's off the truck? Should sink in fairly easy, if it's slow and lazy like a steering damper then that's probably your problem.

Either way the two broken mounts have one thing in common, the shock in question. And since it's only the driver side doing it, I'd venture to guess it's not suspension travel issues you're facing there.

It looks a bit bent cause the upper "shell" is almost touching the main body on one side, right? That's actually more common that one would expect, it's just the way the shell was welded on, unless it actually grinds on the body it doesn't affect the normal operation of the shock. It's the shaft that's below it that matters, and if that were indeed bend you'd know it right away when you tried compressing the shock by hand.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
First push of the shock seems to be fairly easy, then gets more stiff on sequential rebounds. Seems to be fairly normal when I actuate it by hand. Something is clearly wrong through if it will only go a few days before bending/breaking shock mount.

Emailed Tenneco / Monroe 8/31 through their web form and got no response. Called 9/3 and went through 2 clueless people before speaking to Ben, who seemed knowledgeable. Explained my situation and that this shock has broken two 3/8 thick steel shock mounts, one 30 year old original and another brand new. Explained truck ride height and max compression to bump mount. He said it was bizarre and he's never seen anything like this after seeing the pictures... That's what I said! Anyhow, would not inititatite any RMA/replacement/refund claiming manager was on vacation to return Friday 9/4 and would have to consult with manager. Requested immediate shipment of replacement shock with special consideration to the fact that I was run down on my motorcycle by a car driver on Tuesday leaving me with extremely limited mobility but would like to have transportation that I can get in and out of considering my bike is wrecked and my other truck is lifted and manual trans and cannot get into or operate with my injuries. Said I would have a call Friday probably before noon but by EOB worst case, but would email boss immediatley and maybe get response sooner.

I asked if there could be anything other than the shock causing bent and broken lower shock mounts to which Ben responded that he could not imagine anything other than a failed, mislabeled, or wrong application shock such as too little travel hammering down at full compression without sufficient travel.

Of course Friday came and went with no contact. Will call tomorrow after the holiday weekend and see what they say. I understand not wanting to do anything to get fired (if it's that bad a work environment) but cannot understand lack of phone call or email when a phone call was promised, even if to advise wait until Tuesday. I will call Tenneco / Monroe tomorrow (Tuesday) after orthopedic surgeon in AM and insurance adjusters afterward, and see what they have to say about this shock.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Tenneco (Monroe/Rancho) has sent me a replacement shock under warranty which has worked fine with no shock or mount failure for a couple hundred miles now. They have not committed to reimburse me for two shock mounts, though said they may upon disassembly of the failed shock but will not guarantee a reimbursement. 9/22 will be 3 months from original purchase date and expiration of their "Safe & Sound Warranty" which states they will refund for the shocks along with $100 for labor if dissatisfied for any reason within 3 months. I specifically requested to extent this pending conclusion of the warranty claim, as I am satisfied with the performance of the shocks aside from this failure and associated hassle. They declined, and offered to begin the refund process under their warranty.

I have submitted my request to begin this process, requesting refund of $250.95 and a shipping label to return the 5 shocks I currently have. Expect a response Monday and will advise how the process goes. Have ordered 4 Bilstein shocks which I expect to have by the end of week. Requested latest date I must have the Monroe shocks in the mail by. Hoping since I have explained I am injured and it is difficult for me to get in (lifted) or drive (manual) my other truck they will allow me to return the shocks at the end of the week and not the 22nd.

I will advise how this goes as anything further comes along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online