Brand new to this site

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '84 F-250. Sort of inherited from my grandfather who purchased it brand new (it was his baby). I've had this machine for a few years, put new rims and tires on it, cut out the "soupbowl", straightpiped, new style glowplug controller, otherwise totally stock. 124,000 miles 2WD Std cab Auto C-6 I realize that the best power gains are from a turbo install. I'm just looking for anything that I haven't done that can be done on the cheap. This truck has been more or less sitting in the corner of my shed for the past few years. I really like the truck, but I've got some more important financial prioritys to tend to right now. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Keith

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Keith, When you are ready we can help you spend your money! fill in your signature so we can get to know you and your truck?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You can turn up the fuel on the injection pump but I wouldn't quite recommend that until you get a pyrometer to read the exhaust gas temps because you can do damage to the engine if you run them too hot for too long.

Just install the pyro in one of the sides (driver's or passenger's)as close to the exhaust manifold as you can get. they make ones that you can just drill a hole in the exhaust and then insert the probe in the hole and a band clamp goes around the pipe to hold it and seal it.

Another thing is to open up the exhaust - a free flowing exhaust will help some this will also be a two fold modification because it will also help lower your egt's because the engine can expell the heat easier allowing you to stay in the go pedal a little longer.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. Pyro and more fuel sounds like my next move. With a pyro istalled, what temp's should I try to keep the EGT's under for an IDI?

Keith

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think 1250f is as far as I would go but it depends where You put the pyro probe. Some stop at 1100f some go higher than 1250f.