Braking issues

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
This prolly sounds out of left field :D .....bad hardware on the rears--regardless of how recent they were done will cause the shoes to hang/bind that gives a similiar feeling to applying the parking brake while holding the brake pedal down.

have you looked at the check valve on the booster?

You say the RABS sensor is toast from the salt....have you verified the rears are actually working to capacity?

You prolly have the 4 belt set up......how is tension at the Vac pump.....I have seen cases where insted of replacing the entire pump/brg assy....some will attempt to only replace the actual pump and leave the shaft/brg assy intact.....not the smartest move by any streach but I have seen and heard of it...:idiot:'s

I don't fully trust the "auto" adjusters.....I tighten mine up every oil change/tire rotation ;Sweet which for me = every 6 weeks or so.....helps keep the front pads from smoking out as you have noticed.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
NEXT problem any suggestions on a friendly wager. :backoff

Found it! :mad:

Ya geo was thinking that also since I had awesome brakes last night but figgered to start up front and double check the vacuum system.
Didn't need to go much farther than that. The friggin vac pump died today. :mad:

What do ya think the chances were of that? cookoo
Thank goodness I had a spare vac pump and dropped it on an the vac tests came out with flying colors as did last night. :confused:
I also checked the rears and they were adjusting good as I hit em the other night. Can lock em up now on the sloppy snow roads. :eek: Truck's too big to do that without RABS workin. :eek:
That I think will be the next item to address.

Hopefully it was just a case of booster and vac pump gremlins. ;Sweet

WILLD

Reaction score
With a vacuum pump and not engine vacuum it's pretty easy to overwork the vacuum pump.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody here seems to be pointing at your vacuum system and that may be it, but ---

My 90 F350 scared the sh__ out of me a couple of years ago. On a mountain hill the brakes just didn't work. I got the truck stopped and they worked again. When I got home I replaced the master cyl and booster. Everything seemed OK until it did it again about a month later.

I unplugged the rear anti-lock brakes along the frame under the drivers foot area and the brakes have worked perfectly ever since. I don't know if this is your problem, but it may be worth checking.

good luck and get those brakes working

akoldnav

On Edit The RAB system was mentioned in an earlier post, that I didn't see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online