Brake Part Suggestions?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am pretty much a novice when it comes to brakes. I am looking at replacing the current brakes with quality parts. The issue is that I am not exactly sure what quality is with brakes.

So far I have heard about doing a rear disk brake conversion but I am not doing that.

For the front I have heard that Hawk pads are good when mated with slotted rotors.

So the questions are:

What pads should I go with front and rear?
What type of rotors for the front?
Parts should be checked or just replaced due to being inexpensive if anything is?

Any suggestions would be great. Again, I am not doing the disks.....

Thanks
Thad

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've always received great service from Raybestos parts. Just don't cheap out on the pads/shoes. Buy the highest quality friction materials.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I've always received great service from Raybestos parts. Just don't cheap out on the pads/shoes. Buy the highest quality friction materials.

Exactly, but I am curious as to what a quality part is.....I just dont know. Again, I am not a brake guru. Got any brand suggestions?

Thanks
Thad

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Motorcraft fan. I trust Ford to spec quality when they source their parts. The previous owner of my Excursion ;Really put non-Motorcraft slotted rotors on, and they are all warped, so I just spent $250 on new Ford rotors and pads. First set of rotors I've ever had to put on a truck cause they were not wore out. :puke:

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I have a 1960 Ford Buyer's Guide, ( Sort of the 100 page advertisement that Ford used to send to its customers). In it there is an article on this very subject, showing "cheapo" brake shoes being destroyed in a dynomometer test--all smoked and burnt.
The same truth still applies--use only good brand name parts, especially brake parts.

RedTruck

Reaction score
You might want to try the sponsor here...Frozen Rotor. It's my understanding they heat treat the rotors using nitrogen. A few fellows have chatted with him about brake parts for the IDI. As far as I know he has pads to go with them.

Maybe someone here has tried them and can comment?

Paul

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much a novice when it comes to brakes. I am looking at replacing the current brakes with quality parts. The issue is that I am not exactly sure what quality is with brakes.

So far I have heard about doing a rear disk brake conversion but I am not doing that.

For the front I have heard that Hawk pads are good when mated with slotted rotors.

So the questions are:

What pads should I go with front and rear?
What type of rotors for the front?
Parts should be checked or just replaced due to being inexpensive if anything is?

Any suggestions would be great. Again, I am not doing the disks.....

Thanks
Thad

Go to NAPA , get the heavy duty rated, brakes. their warrenty is good ,and usually the people behind the counter know what the hell their doing,must of the time , unlike some autozones and o rielys

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hawk pads on the front and a set of commercial duty semi-metallic shoes on the rear will improve braking dramatically.

You can do a rear disk conversion if you really want to, but the factory brakes with quality linings are well up to the task.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You might want to try the sponsor here...Frozen Rotor. It's my understanding they heat treat the rotors using nitrogen. A few fellows have chatted with him about brake parts for the IDI. As far as I know he has pads to go with them.

Maybe someone here has tried them and can comment?

Paul

That's probably a no go. I clicked on their linky a couple of weeks back and it appears that they don't make any for our old beasts, unless they have them, but don't list them. Their catalog stopped quite a few years newer.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That's probably a no go. I clicked on their linky a couple of weeks back and it appears that they don't make any for our old beasts, unless they have them, but don't list them. Their catalog stopped quite a few years newer.

If you read that thread of his....it says that they are available by request type of deal, you just gotta get ahold of them and ask.

And I agree the NAPA guys know their stuff most of the time ;Sweet. Also I dropped my flywheel off at the machine shop, and the guy suprised the hell out of me. I plopped the flywheel down on the counter, and without skipping a beat, I mean within a second he was like an international. I was like holy crap man that was a quick recognition of that LOL.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont use oreilly pads/shoes.. i will be using hawk hps on my rx7. they are not cheap though..75 bucks for a set 4 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance