Brake Line Options?

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am building my 85 F350 dually ;Sweet. I just converted it to a 4WD:D and need to rerun new brake lines.

I dont know anything about them just that I suck :dunno at bending brake line. At my work I can make 4000 psi hydraulic hose. Can I use this hose instead of steel brake line? :dunno

I am replacing the 2 lines that go to each front capiler.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Legally no but... Do you really want to take that chance of spongey brakes...:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Brake hoses have to be brake hoses. Even regular race brake hoses that are WAY stronger than DOT brake hoses are not street legal. Kind of lame, but As usual, they would prefer you have the weaker hose with the DOT stamp on it

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I just got to try my skills when I had to flare the new bigger ends for the hydroboost master cylinder.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What front end are you using? Your flexible lines will have to match your caliper, and there is a difference between light duty and heavy duty TTB calipers. If it's a straight axle, you'll have to get the flexible lines that match it. Take a look at a factory 4X4 to get an idea of how to bend your lines. The crappiest part about bending lines is the time it takes. BTW, compression fittings are out, period.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually I understand that all the flair ends are something called double flair ends... Much harder to make properly. Be careful trying to "make your own" system. If anything went wrong and someone got hurt guess who will be in deep u now what....

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am building my 85 F350 dually ;Sweet. I just converted it to a 4WD:D and need to rerun new brake lines.

I dont know anything about them just that I suck :dunno at bending brake line. At my work I can make 4000 psi hydraulic hose. Can I use this hose instead of steel brake line? :dunno

I am replacing the 2 lines that go to each front capiler.

Hey neighbor, where in SJ are you located? I got the bending tool and the double flare kit. I'd be glad to lend a hand if necessary;Sweet I usually buy brake line by the 25" roll. Cut and bend it as I need it.:sly