Bought the new truck

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boatelectronicguy said:
Ok, tested today and found that only the drivers door sets it off, not the passenger doors. So I guess that gives me something to go on. This week-end I guess I'll pull the door switches and see what wires go where. If worse comes to worse I'll cross wire the passenger and drivers door switchs so it goes off if my wife tries to escape. Thanks for all the suggestions and info.
thats not a half bad idea.....i talked to the diesel tech at the dealer i worked at...he told me, once the program is flashed to the pcm, you cant go back. he agreed with my thinking of installing a toggle switch somewhere so you can toggle the door switch off to open the door while backing up, then toglle it the other way to work normally with the interior lights. he told me their isnt an actual "popper" like their used to be on older trucks, that the switch sensor is part of the latch assembly. so with that said, unless you want to run new wires to cross them over, youll have to toggle it. otherwise, it is possible to wire it the way you want to....just make sure you document the color wires.....where you ran them, and everything, the bcm senses the driver and passengers door switches indipendantly...so if there ever was a problem, the codes would be stored in the bcm...and the dealer mechanics will thank you greatly"if you have to take it back for anything"

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Dang, I am starting to think you need to purchase a backup camera!!!! :rotflmao

Would be easier to install it sounds like.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
Dang, I am starting to think you need to purchase a backup camera!!!! :rotflmao

Would be easier to install it sounds like.
in my head its simple......but i've worked on them since they were introduced...if you could get your hands on a wiring diagram.well, the wiring BOOK, it would make more sense. i know when i explain it it seems complicated...maybe it is.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Not having the truck here makes a big difference to me. Seeing it would speak volumes. I usually shied away from the later computer controlled dodge stuff, I just didn't care for dodge and how things were done. The dynasty we worked on was a fluke and just made me that much more apt to steer clear of them.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, the dynasties used that B/S 5 volt ref that went to every sensor, so if 1 sensor screwed up, you couldnt find which one it was...easily. yeah, those were aweful.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
haha, the dynasties used that B/S 5 volt ref that went to every sensor, so if 1 sensor screwed up, you couldnt find which one it was...easily. yeah, those were aweful.

Yep, you got it.

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my good friend just bought a 3500 ram and i went to back it up and the horn took off,how stupid is that?he was very unhappy w/ this discovery,hope this can be removed.

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
imfixinmopars said:
my good friend just bought a 3500 ram and i went to back it up and the horn took off,how stupid is that?he was very unhappy w/ this discovery,hope this can be removed.

As I said earlier in this thread, it's a great truck, but I would not have bought mine had I been aware of this problem. It has made me hate the truck. I followed my dealers suggestion and have been driving around with the horn unhooked while I've been waiting for a reply from Dodge. But that is not a viable permanent solution. I was planning to work on the door switch wiring if Dodge will not provide some relief, but today as I entered the truck a new tactic occurred to me that it only goes off when the truck is in reverse, the door is open and the seat belt is off.

Seems like I should be able to trick the seatbelt sensor to fix this problem? Task for tomorrow, eh?

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
boatelectronicguy said:
Seems like I should be able to trick the seatbelt sensor to fix this problem? Task for tomorrow, eh?

Couldn't wait for tomorrow. Took me a paper clip, bent it around stuck in the connector to short the wires together like the belt is connected. Didn't even have to unplug it or cut any wires. To two minutes because I had to go back in the house for a paper clip. I always wear my seatbelt except when backing a trailer anyway so the warning is superfluous (thats a big word that means "a waste of money installing stuff that keeps the lawyers off their butt").

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Electronics!

From the IDI basement, ain't got that problem! New truck and talk about disconnecting something, cut me a break!

The reason I'm here is because I'm considering a new truck. This simple thing really turns me off.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the IDI basement, ain't got that problem! New truck and talk about disconnecting something, cut me a break!

The reason I'm here is because I'm considering a new truck. This simple thing really turns me off.

John,

From one former IDIer to a current IDI brother... DO IT--YOU WILL BE SO GLAD YOU DID!!!

The Dodge/Cummins is a FINE truck. This is just an annoyance for some folks... and there are ways around it.

Mike

... 7 out of 10 former Ford IDI drivers prefer Dodge/Cummins diesels...

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
John, blame the lawsuit happy American public. The lawyeers wouldn't have a job if we didn't keep employing them. It is high time we hold people responsible for their own actions. Coffee is hot and if you spill it on yourself then try to sue the one that sold it to you,m you don't deserve air. If you put your truck in reverse and get out of it something bad is going to happen. Nobody can blame the carmaker for that, but obviously someone sued DC over it or else they wouldn't have had to put this inane warning system in place.

It ruined my truck ownership experience 'till I figured out how simple it is to defeat. Since then I love the truck. My only complaints are the cupholders that fold down out of the dash are worthless. any drink I've put in them has spilled and I don't drive crazy (anymore). And I wish the transmission had another gear or two to keep the R's down at highway speed.

I don't think that anyone would be dissappointed in this machine. It's a great truck.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
john, with all due respect,.......
1989 F-250 4x4 XLT Lariat , 133" wb & 202K miles
Banks Sidewinder, "John Air" & RDT
ZF5, Dana 44, Ford 10.25", 4.10 LS & LT235/85R16 Duler A/T "REVO"s
"She's leaking almost everywhere! ".

a truck with 202k should not be leaking everywhere,....theres a turnoff for ya. drive a cummins, a new one...base your decision on the experiance...not a simple defeatable annoyance. you cant even call it a problem...99.9% of people dont open their doors while backing up, the only reason he stumbled across this problem is because of his use for the truck.

stlmo45

Reaction score
You have to have the door open and the truck in gear and the seat belt unhooked for this to happen I found out the hard way because I too open the door to back sometimes.This can be done away with by hooking the seat belt and sit on it while backing.

Ron Madison
2006 Ram 2500
maga cab slt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online