Bought a new new truck yesterday!

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I was browsing CL Friday after dinner and found a truck that seemed too good to be true! It's pretty much what I've been wanting for a while now. It's an '89 F350 SRW standard cab truck. N/A 7.3. It's got a c6 and waiiiiit for it..... It's 4x4! It's a lariat with **** red interior. I'm not sure how I feel about the 20's on it.

Hardly any rust to speak of inside or out. It's in really good shape for an ancient Michigan rust buggy! The only bad part is that the engine is most likely toast. The kid who had it was delivering pizzas in it when he overheated it hard. After that it drank a lot of oil and smoked a lot. Then one night after work it wouldn't even spin over. I'm curious if he bent a rod? Anyway it's paid for, I just have to pick it up now. :)

Anybody semi-local have a turbo charged IDI sitting around they wanna get rid of?:sly

Sorry, this is all the pics i have for now!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any idi will fit that rig be it a 6.9 or 7.3. They are a direct bolt in application. Its probably got a cylinder full of water by now from several possibilitys.. Might just be a bad head gasket. Knowing what color the smoke was before it stopped running would tell us if it was burning coolant. Thats most likely the smoke issues. Look in the market place for an engine..

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Yep that's what i figured. I'm gonna pull the glowplugs out and bar it over. If it's free, maybe head gaskets and some head work will take care of it? Worst case, this thing will just get a cheap drop in engine.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Looks good Dan! Was that on GR CL? I missed that one. Been too busy plowing snow and being sick,..

Congrats, What did you have to pay for it? Not sure I like the 20's either but they are worth good money to sell and buy what you want for it.

Keep us posted,..

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20x9 KMC Badlanders just like the ones on my Dmax... I have 2 spare caps (maybe 3) if you are interested.

Not bad looking, definately a engine swap canidate.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I got a motor up for grabs......7.3 IDI N/A in an '89 F250 w/ under 90k on the clock...

Been sitting around for a few years..... but I'd let it go for cheap. Located in Southern WI (53572).

Everything "under the hood" is still there......alternator is probably bad......starter and batteries are gone.
Has a few glow plugs snapped off in the heads.
Motor, IP, etc should be fine - it just stalled out on me one winter and never took the time to get it going again.

Let me know if you're interested.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Looks good Dan! Was that on GR CL? I missed that one. Been too busy plowing snow and being sick,..

Congrats, What did you have to pay for it? Not sure I like the 20's either but they are worth good money to sell and buy what you want for it.

Keep us posted,..

Yep it sure was! It ended up being owned by a kid that went to my high school and goes to the same college as i do! Sucks being sick :/ I gave 1200 for it. The 20s are growin on me. I admit it.
How nice truck if you don't want to deal with it ill be more and happy to take it off your hands lol

Thanks but i'm gonna have to pass. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with another vehicle just yet, but she's definitely stickin' around!

20x9 KMC Badlanders just like the ones on my Dmax... I have 2 spare caps (maybe 3) if you are interested.

Not bad looking, definately a engine swap canidate.

Alright cool thanks for informing me. I'll remember you once I get it running. I just can't justify buying shiney stuff for it just yet.

Hey I got a motor up for grabs......7.3 IDI N/A in an '89 F250 w/ under 90k on the clock...

Been sitting around for a few years..... but I'd let it go for cheap. Located in Southern WI (53572).

Everything "under the hood" is still there......alternator is probably bad......starter and batteries are gone.
Motor, IP, etc should be fine - it just stalled out on me one winter and never took the time to get it going again.

I'm gonna have to pass for now. I am going to hold out for a turbo charged one, and hopefully closer. Thank you though.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I might me willing to part out my 93 7.3 na some tine soon.
depending on wife being willing to let me get a 94 or 97 f350 cc drw with taxes.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Nice looking rig.;Sweet I can see that if you look at the 20's long enough, they will grow on you.LOL I'd say they still need bigger tires to look like they play the part. Good luck with it, keep us posted.;Sweet

Bowtech28

Reaction score

Tried to send pm won't go through Give me a shout about the 7.3 you have please.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Sounds good Darrin. We flat towed it to my buddies place last night. I picked the best time to do it, the roads were absolutely terrible. 20mph for a 20 mile trip :)

This morning before class I went over to my buddies and pulled the glowplugs out. IT'S FREE! It spit out a lot of coolant from both banks, but it spins free now. I'm not sure what the plan is yet? I might be cheap and just throw some gaskets on and resurface the heads, rebuild oil cooler and slap it back in. If i get spendy, it might get a re-ring kit.

I'm going to get everything ready so I can do all of this during spring break.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I got the thing running! Talk about gutless! It smokes a constant white haze. The #5 cylinder is as good as dead. The smoke clears when that injector is cracked. I switched injectors around and tried new injectors, with the same result. I'm assuming the head gasket could be blown enough to where compression isn't high enough for combustion. That is also the cylinder that was full of coolant. I'm going to pull the valve cover off next and see if anything is funny in there. Oh.... this thing was 2 gallons over full of oil???????

Otherwise, this thing turns, stops, shifts just fine. 4x4 works like a charm too :)

I ditched the 20's for some 35x12.50x16s i bought from a kid at work. My brother and I polished them puppies up and it sure looks better now :) Can anyone ID the wheel make/model. I need to replace one bent one.

Also... Check out the cover of my lmc truck catalog

The bad side