body lift

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
were can i get a body lift for my truck they all say not for diesel

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the one that said "not for diesels"; I didn't see any reason why, as it all bolted right in and still works.

One minor snag = assuming a V-8 I-H engine, two-inch works with no issues; three-inch, for some unknown mysterious reason, causes some portion of the engine to ride against the fire-wall and resonate.

Some have successfully whacked/pried the offending fire-wall for clearance.

One very important point, be it two-inch or three-inch kit, the factory steering-shaft will almost completely dis-engage itself sitting on level ground; the slightest excuse and it is going to pop apart.

When you begin the installation, HAVE ON HAND either a Borgeson or a Flaming River adjustable steering-shaft; DO NOT drive the truck without it, PERIOD.

Once you get the old worn-out oil-soaked factory shaft out where you can see it, you won't feel like you wasted your money and will wonder why you didn't replace it sooner.

If you can make trips to and from the hardware store while the truck is all apart, there is no reason to buy a "kit"; just fabricate some strong spacer-blocks of the height you want, then measure the old bolts and buy new ones the required amount longer.

The bolts are all 7/16-14 coarse.
:)

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know exacly where the engine contacts the firewall... So i can modifie the firewall before i put the cab on, pics would be great.. I was planning on running a 2" but the 3" is $40.00 cheaper for some reason, So i mite just buy a 3" kit.... thanks

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can make trips to and from the hardware store while the truck is all apart, there is no reason to buy a "kit"; just fabricate some strong spacer-blocks of the height you want, then measure the old bolts and buy new ones the required amount longer.

The bolts are all 7/16-14 coarse.[/I][/B] :)

Retarded question, but what would the spacer blocks be made of? I am clueless about body lifts. And is there a "too heavy to lift" weight?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retarded question, but what would the spacer blocks be made of? I am clueless about body lifts. And is there a "too heavy to lift" weight?

The "kit" blocks are made of a hard plastic and are sort of "honey-combed" and I have never had one crack or collapse.

On other trucks, I have made riser blocks in a couple different methods, depending on what I had to work with at the time.

Best/stoutest I have made were short sections of square-tube of the appropriate dimension for the amount of lift I wanted, with lengths of steel-pipe welded through where the bolt passed through.

I have made them out of the square-tube and just box-braced the open ends and they held up well for years.

If you can find solid blocks of a good plastic, they can be made of that; easy to cut with any wood-working tool and will not rust nor cause rust.