Blown crane engine from work.

Truckie

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of a Perkins diesel that blew up. The engine is a straight 6 non turbo, around 160 to 180 hp. It was a brand new engine we put in this past September. When it blew it only had 300 hours on it. It threw 2 rods through the side of the block.
I wish I would have had time to use my digital crammer to get some better pics for ya,:sorry: but the phone ones are pretty good.

Attachments

• picture001.jpeg
    picture001.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 72

Truckie

Reaction score
Oops the last one was the last pic I have, this was going to be a repaet.

Last edited:

Truckie

Reaction score
Yes, there was a warranty on the new engine. When they came to pick this one up and take it to there shop there mechanic said they were having some problems with this style engine. They took it to there shop and short blocked it, and gave it a brand new warranty. They even paid us to have our mechanic pull it and install it.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Any idea what caused it to grenade? Seems like there would have been some warning, with that kind of catastrophic failure.

Truckie

Reaction score
No, no real idea as to what caused it to grained. I know when I was talking to the one mechanics he said they were having a problems with this style engine. I know the engine liked to use oil, about a half a gallon a week. I don't think that's to bad considering that it is running full throttle eight and a half to 9 hours a day, I know the day it blew it had oil because I checked it before I started it, You can also tell it was not oil related because the chrome was still on the crank and the bearings were not wiped out on the connecting rods. From what they said and I can tell it was a stress brake on the connecting rods, probably bad castings. Again if I had my digital camera I could have had better pics for ya. :sorry: