blew a freeze plug out getting on the freeway

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
same thing happened to rsdsl...

Yup, I'd like to lynch the machine shop that that put the plugs in wrong.
Just makes no sense if youre gonna be in busiess doing that, that you wouldnt purchase proper tooling. For crying out loud, shop tools are a hard write off with depreciation, you end up making money off them on both ends if you have a half decent accountant. I used to buy everything I could get my hands on and let my accountant sort it all out at the end of teh year, I'd come out ahead every time. Makes no sense for these shops to cheap out on tools and risk stiff coming back or worse, lawsuits.

As for the OP, putting a dummy plug in there is playing with fire. They put block heaters in for a reason. Heck, mine will fire with one round of the glow plugs at below -20 without being plugged in.... but there's always that ONE time, when you get a crap load of fuel , or the fusable link decides to take a vacation on you to your glow plugs and you dont have a spare handy or your controller decides its time to meet its maker, or for whatever reason, the thing doesnt want to cough, that block heater may be the only thing getting yougoing for a week or so till parts arrive, and sometimes, if you know that it's going to be snowing or icing overnight, and you need to get going in the morning, i'ts just real nice to go out to a nice to go out to a pre warmed engine that will start defrosting windows darn near right off the bat and have heat available, especially if hauling females around so you dont have to listen to " how long till this thing starts putting out some heat" for 68 blocks while you attempt to justify your no block heater decision and she is wondering why shes not with that other fella with the fancy NEW truck......

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i picked up the block heater and figured i would regret not getting it in...

also picked up another 4 gal of fleet charge coolant... another waste of money cuz i just flushed the system less then 6months ago when i did my head gaskets....... ug

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you will be happy with the choice of getting the block heater. even on cold mornings when the engine doesn't NEED it, it still warms up faster and makes start up a little easier.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will never use it because right now me and my girl friend of 8 years stay at her parents place and they complain if i leave anything on or plugged in.. now in the next year or so once we have our own place thats a different story.. tho the block heater is a 1000watt.. that aint cheap to run.. but if i ever have a hard start in the am i can plug it in and warm her up..

just wondering does anyone know how long it takes to warm up with a 1k heater?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i think it only takes ~3hrs for it to get it as hot as it's gonna be. i don't have mine on for more than an hour though and it starts JUST FINE even in 10*F weather. i have mine on a timer so while i am sleeping my block heater fires up and then a couple min before i leave it shuts off. my parents have yet to make any mention of a noticeable increase in elec bill.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it only takes ~3hrs for it to get it as hot as it's gonna be. i don't have mine on for more than an hour though and it starts JUST FINE even in 10*F weather. i have mine on a timer so while i am sleeping my block heater fires up and then a couple min before i leave it shuts off. my parents have yet to make any mention of a noticeable increase in elec bill.

thats good to know i thought of that as well...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i would recomend doing some practice runs with the timer though just so you know exactly how to set it up. when daylight savings time changed i didn't think of the time and i just kept plugging it in. then one day i got to looking at it and hmmmmm.... adjusted the time and what a difference lol

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would recomend doing some practice runs with the timer though just so you know exactly how to set it up. when daylight savings time changed i didn't think of the time and i just kept plugging it in. then one day i got to looking at it and hmmmmm.... adjusted the time and what a difference lol

thanks for the tip

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i picked up the block heater and figured i would regret not getting it in...

also picked up another 4 gal of fleet charge coolant... another waste of money cuz i just flushed the system less then 6months ago when i did my head gaskets....... ug

if you have the petcock style ( okie ****** ) block drains , you can easily drain the block from the passenger side into a clean container, then filter the old cooland through a couple layers of cheesecloth pouring it through a funnel into a clean bottle that you can pour back into the engine and return 3 of those gal back to the store ( you are likely to loose some in the process, so doesnt hurt to have one extra jug ) . No reason to toss out good antifreeze if its not worn out yet

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Careful installing the heater plug. It only has a little #8 screw holding it in place, don't get all manly and put 400 lbs of torque on it. That is what I did, and the plug blew out the first time I went on the road. Fortunately, I noticed when it happened or I would have burned down a brand new engine. Use hylomar all over the o ring and rubber gasket under the hold down screw, then tighten the screw just snug, NO MORE! Any tighter and you will crack the butterfly nut that holds everything together.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
the block heater is a 1000watt.. that aint cheap to run.. but if i ever have a hard start in the am i can plug it in and warm her up..

just wondering does anyone know how long it takes to warm up with a 1k heater?

1000w is not as much as it sounds...a standard electric water heater has 2-4500w elements for comparison. I usually only need 1 hr on the heater to get it to start (with no gps) even in the coldest temps here (high teens...although that's probably a Spring day for some folks!). So it takes at most 1 Kwh per day for me...which according to my power bill is about $0.09.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The block heater hole will take a regular cup type freeze plug or a rubber expanding plug. The other 7 can only be fixed by installing another disc type freeze plug. Unfortunately I'm not real sure you could get in there to put one.

You're lucky. When mine blew out I wound up pretty much seizing the motor and had 3 cracks in the heads. Course, I had it happen pulling 18k up Techcapi pass. Apparently these motors don't much like being drained of coolant instantly at WOT.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ended up dieing.... It wouldn't run cool after and I keep driving and now the rad shoots water like 6 inchs while running so I'm sure something is done(i did do head gaskets less then 8 months ago)... But it still runs, I now have another motor I just picked up today that I'm about to check out