blew a freeze plug out getting on the freeway

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how command is this the freeze plug that go's where the block heater would be.. mine dont have a block heater... but
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
If you can't locate a block heater to fill the gap you need a special tool to install the factory freeze plugs correctly. They are not like other freeze plugs, might be able to fit a rubber plug in though.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it had the rubber plug already... I found them online at the local parts store has them listed but if they can figure it out...

What kind of tool is needed freeze plugs seem as any other freeze plug.. And if I decided to put a metal one in I would find a socket as close to the size and hammer it in..

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Pm icanfixall Gary if he does not stop by here he knows all about these plugs since he had one pop on him and melt down an engine. you can't hammer them in with a socket, they have to be dimpled in the middle a certain amount. They are not like other plugs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These block require a concave plug. They set on a lip in the plug bore. Then a special tool is used and a hammer to make them flair out enough to stick in the bore. That special tool is about $200.00 too. Never try to install them with anything but the special tool. You will not know if they are in tight enough to stay put like mine that blew out... That sucks big time. Now the plug bore size is 1 1/2 inch. I believe the block heater is the same size but no lip or shoulder to reat a plug on. They can have a common cup type plug installed ther and it will be fine. Or a rubber expansion plug will do ok too. Never install brass in any of the plug locations. These blocks have 7 freeze plug locations and Ford and International sell them in convient packs of 7 too. They are stainless steel. Not common carbon steel either. This is one place you need only the factory oem stuff. Also clean out the location carefully and use a good quality rtv or Hilomar sealant... Or they will leak. When I melted my engine and the shop told me to pound sand I bought the factory set. Had another shop install them while I watched. Then I pressure tested the block to 30 lbs of air... This took lots of caution and care to do too. These plugs are like exploding shells if they blow out with that much pressure on them. I didn't use any sealant but I did use Snoop Leak Detecter and no leaks were seen. A little less than a year later I had leakers too. So out came the engine and I used sealant this time and another air test. No leaks then and none today either. We sometimes learn the lessons the hard way... But we do learn none the less. All this is from my experiance. Had I been more on top of this issue I would not have burnd down my engine cause a plug blew out. Reason that happened was the plugs were brass and the special tool was not used to install them. The brass just can't cut into the block and get a purchase hold. Oh how we learn...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said the block heater hole plug!

the block heater hole plug is a standard 1 1/2 inch plug, drives in witha socket.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:D:angel:The above posting by Russ is so correct. Sorry I kinda glossed over that point about it being a simple cup type plug that can be driven in with just about anyting but a pointed screwdriver of knife...:angel:

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys , figures ford or who ever designed the motor will make a expsive tool to put freeze Plugs in

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the heater but i won't use it.. Well I don't think I will and I won't install it And need one

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
If u ever have glow Plug issues, a block heater will get it started. It does get cold in Michigan.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Pm icanfixall Gary if he does not stop by here he knows all about these plugs since he had one pop on him and melt down an engine. you can't hammer them in with a socket, they have to be dimpled in the middle a certain amount. They are not like other plugs.

same thing happened to rsdsl...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online