bleeding Clutch questions

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
When I replaced my clutch hyd system last fall, there was a complete UPDATED system availible. It had no bleeder on the slave. You just bench bled it and allowed the fluid to flow down the nylon feed line and then installed the roll pin.

It's a really nice setup, the master cylinder has a metal 'Heim' joint allready on it.

It cost less than buying a master and slave seperately, plus it came with the new line.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
When I replaced my clutch hyd system last fall, there was a complete UPDATED system availible. It had no bleeder on the slave. You just bench bled it and allowed the fluid to flow down the nylon feed line and then installed the roll pin.

It's a really nice setup, the master cylinder has a metal 'Heim' joint allready on it.

It cost less than buying a master and slave seperately, plus it came with the new line.
Out of curiousity....how much did that set you back?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I believe it was around $100. It came with everything you need for the system, except fluid. I priced out the master and slave cylinders seperately and I think they were like $78/$48. From Napa, who are a little pricey. If a guy shopped around he'd prolly find it cheaper somewhere else.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:

No shower that sound good, where can one get this updated kit?

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
clutch bleeding technique

I'm having the same problems with getting my slave cylinder bled. I've pumped a lot of fluid thru it and get a decent feeling pedal. I also get about 1 1/4" of travel at the slave pushrod. Apparently this isn't enough to disengage the clutch!
I also noticed the firewall flexing while my lady pumped the clutch pedal for the nth time. I'm not sure if I have the dreaded cracked firewall or not :confused: How much flex is acceptable? None visible or some?
I'm going to try some more bleeding, possible using pressure (cobbled together pluming bits). I will also try to elevate the nose of the truck. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's almost the same thing I did except I put the slave on the truck and pushed the rod in "retracted" by using a long pry bar as I opened the bleeder. It was much easier to put the slave on and then bleed it, now that is just me and the way I did mine. It took only about 4 or 5 pumps to get it bleed.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
clutch travel?

I've got it bleed now, and the slave moves the clutch fork, but I still can't shift gears with the engine running:***:
I still don't know if the flexing firewall is my problem or something actually inside the bellhousing...I'd love some advice.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
hahn_rossman said:
I'm having the same problems with getting my slave cylinder bled. I've pumped a lot of fluid thru it and get a decent feeling pedal. I also get about 1 1/4" of travel at the slave pushrod. Apparently this isn't enough to disengage the clutch!
I also noticed the firewall flexing while my lady pumped the clutch pedal for the nth time. I'm not sure if I have the dreaded cracked firewall or not :confused: How much flex is acceptable? None visible or some?
I'm going to try some more bleeding, possible using pressure (cobbled together pluming bits). I will also try to elevate the nose of the truck. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

None! :)

I believe the instructions for this say if there is any movement, you need to use the large firewall repair kit. I have them somewhere around here will try to dig them up and have a look and post back.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
None! :)

I believe the instructions for this say if there is any movement, you need to use the large firewall repair kit. I have them somewhere around here will try to dig them up and have a look and post back.

I'd love to see those instructions! I guess I'll call the dealer on Monday and get that repair part.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Check around on price. My dealer said $208 and fordparts.com quote just over $100, shipped and all it was like $114, just over half of what the local dealer wanted for it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
hahn_rossman said:
I'd love to see those instructions! I guess I'll call the dealer on Monday and get that repair part.

I found where my dealership sent them to me via fax and I scanned them into a word document. The whole thing is just over 2 MB, so I broke it into two parts. I can email it to you, just send me your email addy at [email protected] and I will send them. Just so you know, their fax slightly cropped the right side, but it is pretty easy to figure it out as it only cut about the last letter or two from the last word in a sentence. Local dealership can't even send a fax without screwing it up! :)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
I got mine at Napa, but call around. Nappa allways seems to be more $$$

Rob, do you have the part # for that MC and slave you got from napa?