Bleeding Air From Fuel System

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing my fuel return o-rings an Ts and all a couple months ago I think I still have air in my lines. Especially when the tanks get below half I an getting the start and die syndrome.
Could someone give the rundown on the proper procedure or a link? I was looking and couldn't find an article or anything. I could have sworn I remember an article or something from years ago...
Thanks!
Tristan

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once your engine starts and runs for a couple of seconds, any trapped air is already gone.

Especially on an original un-modified IDI, there is absolutely NO BENEFIT gained by "cracking injector lines" or fooling around with that silly Schraeder valve that they should have omitted at the factory.

In proper operating condition, the IDI fuel system is self-bleeding and quicker at it that any other diesel system made.

So far as that goes, ALL mechanically-injected diesels will self bleed themselves as soon as the engine starts and runs.

All that being said, if you are still having air symptoms, then you have a leak somewhere in the system and no amount of line bleeding is gonna cure it, until you find the leak and repair it. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially when the tanks get below half I an getting the start and die syndrome.

The first place I would investigate is the pick-up lines in the tanks.

Check them for the absence of the "shower-head" pick-up assembly and also for cracks in the metal lines or holes rusted through. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online