black smoke rollin!!!!

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had new delphi injectors installed on my 93, I asked the tech to turn the pump up a little, time it and test the new injectors. It runs great, but I hooked my mt car trailer up to it to test the new wheel bearings I put on it, took out of the drive and I had coal black smoke rolling out , it stops when the rpm stays steady, but give it a little throttle and it rolls, the guy said he barly turned the screw, he thought it was already turned up, but before the new injectors it never smoked black:dunno any ideascookoo Also the motor is NA

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What does your pyro tell you.....:popcorn:popcorn What... No pyro... Then why would you turn up a pump... Your likely going to hurt the motor because you have no idea how hot the exhaust is. Remember that aluminum melts at 1200 degrees. I feel we can safely run as hot as 1300 degrees but for only a few seconds... Not anywhere near one minute either. Probably a 10 second excursion to that temp wont hurt but... If you got away with that would you go longer next time....Maybe.... I personally don't pass 1100 degrees... Ever... I have plenty of information telling me all I need to know.... See below pics....

Attachments

• DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 47

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone here will tell you to start with one flat on an allen key (1/6 turn), not much at all. There is no way to know how much he turned it up, a little bit may be a 1/2 turn or more? I can attest to the fact that 1 flat will make a very noticeable difference in smoke output. Personally, I'd start turning it down incrementally until I got what I was looking for.
Travis..

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Back it down before something expensive gets damaged. Also where did he set the timing to?

In a N/A truck you really don't want any increase in fuel--trust me you will not gain horsepower safely... Not even a little bit. Even a little more fuel amounts to WAY TOO MUCH when you gain elevation. One of the worst towing experiences in my life was when I decided to "turn up" my ol' 6.9. It ran fine around town puffing a little smoke here and there. Once I hit the canyon with a Toyota on a car hauler I quickly learned what a bad mistake that was!

At this point I would install a pyrometer and learn how to adjust the fuel screw yourself with the help of a friend. It will take multiple tries before you can get it adjusted just right but in the long run you will know it was adjusted as good as it can get ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You changed too many variables at once. Timing, the fuel screw, and the condition of the injectors all have an effect on how much coal you're rolling. Black smoke is wasted fuel and ammo for the greenies so the only time you want to see a lot of it is at the track or maybe to knock the cobwebs out of your engine if it has been loafing around town for a few days or weeks. I'll also admit that a tailgater or two has gotten to see more than they should. As far as your engine is concerned if you don't have a turbo or at least some exhaust and intake mods to get it more air turning the fuel up any at all is probably going to be a waste. In Nebraska or down here in FL at sea level you'll get away with it, especially if you have a pyro and maybe even if you don't as long as you keep an eye on your smoke levels. If you go up to any elevation you'll have enough trouble not burning down a stock N/A truck so in fact Ford and IH had a high altitude detuned pump for this app. So in short if you have modified teh truck at all over stock say cut out the soup bowl, done a ghost tube or Moose tube or even ditched teh factory restrictive exhaust or some combination, turning the fuel up very slightly might be for you but you still should have a pyro. 1 flat is probably plenty for N/A guys. I have a turbo and a stock pump and my fuel screw is almost exactly halfway between stock and maxed out. I'm told a healthy pump only gives 1/2 to one full turn on the Allen screw so maybe 2-3 flats up? I like the low EGTs and it still seems to have a lot of smoke unless I accelerate very easy as I usually try to.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pumps set to to whatever Mels builder set it. With it dumping under the truck I really didnt know how much coal was rolling(I had an idea). But I just put 3 in pipe to the back tire and realized the fuel is WAY to high. Any quick movement of the throttle lets a could out. If I floor it itll shoot smoke 5ft from the truck. I generally drive really easy which helps with the fuel setting so high, but its hard to really rev the motor to get going when it poors coal from almost right off throttle.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I hate to have to ask this , but how did he time it? did you ask ahead of time what kind of timing meter he was going to be using? did he even have one? any chance teh guy just timed it * by ear* :eek::idiot::frustrate:fan:
Something doesn't sound right.....in fact a few somethings don't sound right and it sounds like someone played the twist and shout game on you, that is, twist the pump and shout, "yup, that sounds about right". If the guy knew anything about these things he would have known not to turn it up more than one flat and that wouldn't have you rolling smoke, unless the thing is horribly retarded and or the guy turned the screw a full turn, or.......

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I just had new delphi injectors installed on my 93, I asked the tech to turn the pump up a little, time it and test the new injectors. It runs great, but I hooked my mt car trailer up to it to test the new wheel bearings I put on it, took out of the drive and I had coal black smoke rolling out , it stops when the rpm stays steady, but give it a little throttle and it rolls, the guy said he barly turned the screw, he thought it was already turned up, but before the new injectors it never smoked black:dunno any ideascookoo Also the motor is NA

Did he play with the torque screw, or the max delivery screw? When I played with the max delivery screw (under the triangular plate on the SIDE of the pump), I didn't get a PILE of smoke unless I bogged the engine down.

When I played with the torque screw, I get smoke from just above idle, to 3100 RPM as it cuts out at 3300 RPM. I backed the screw WAY down, but I can still roll it if I bog the engine down...which never happend when towing....just when someone tailgates me, they get a little puff and usually back off.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
When the fuel system is in great shape and it is timed properly it will have a decent amount of black smoke under WOT not cloud the road out or nothing, but a decent amount

Now that being said, it sounds like you have a problem, timing wrong or most likely pump turned up to high, might be smart to turn it down some

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online