Black smoke at atartup

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I noticed that when I started my truck when it was cold I had a black puff of smoke. I also noticed later that I evidently blew black stuff into the gravel when this happened. When looking at the gravel next to my exhaust it was speckled with black. I have never seen this before today. Also I drove the truck to town and when I restarted it after leaving my destination it puffed black smoke again. I am wondering if you could tell me what the black smoke would be caused from. I have new BB's and my injector pump is turned up two flats. :dunno

sootman73

Reaction score
the speckles is condensation in the exahust pipe washing soot out of the pipe, and you'll have some smoke because you have the pump turned up. when it gets cooler out there is less heat to completely burn the fuel on start up

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the speckles is condensation in the exahust pipe washing soot out of the pipe, and you'll have some smoke because you have the pump turned up. when it gets cooler out there is less heat to completely burn the fuel on start up

I was wondering about the fuel being turned up causing the problem. It has just started to get colder here today it is in the low forties.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you can see exatly were i park in my driveway based on the black stones.

i was parked next to my garage that has beige siding. i started the truck up an there was a ********* spot on the wall. WD-40 took it right off no problem.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I just never noticed it before today. I was concerned about the smoke when restarting hot.