Black smoke and decrease in speed on hill ?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Will see if I can pick up some overtime in my dental job!!!!
Well horses do cost money. It doesn't matter if you're riding them or driving with them. They still cost money. Back in high school, a friend's dad (the dad was a pretty good mechanic too) used to say to us "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?".

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
So, took the 88 250 7.3 IDI automatic out for maiden voyage hauling new horse trailer. The trailer is a gooseneck with weekender living quarters,aluminum and my lard ass horse that weighs 1100 pounds...trailer is 5500 pounds. Going up the hills in Pennsylvania, I was rolling black smoke,speed dramatically decreased,RPMS stayed at about 2.5. Once we would flatten out...all was good, except my pride when an 18 wheeler passed me on a very small hill and he was fully loaded with steel and his co driver rolled down the window and made motions like I was paddlin a canoe!!! My horse was embarassed too...lol. Mechanic will get me in this week, but any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Mechanic had my truck and trailer for a week...he says he is pretty sure it needs a new transmission???!!! It has 150k original miles on is this normal??!!! I think the guy I bought it from has royally ripped me off and is a scam artist(I will deal with that my own way) but what will I be looking at $ wise??? Can these things be rebuilt,can you get a rebuild? Is it worth it?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These sure can be rebuilt. There's upgrades from making it more reliable all the way up to transmissions that can hold up to more power than our IDI engines can make. The price tag goes up pretty quickly after the basic upgrades. The top of the line John Woods transmissions go for over $6000 plus core. Is it worth it? That's your call. A transmission rebuild isn't in the budget of very many of us and we would have to figure out how to pay for it. Do you like your truck? Do you love your truck? Would it be worth the cost to have the transmission rebuilt Vs. buying a different truck that may need the same thing in a short time? These are the type of questions that you'll have ask yourself and answer honestly.

Now I'm not trying to badmouth anyone here with this. Why does your mechanic think that the transmission needs to be rebuilt? Has it been performing badly in some way? Before condemning your transmission, maybe you should get a second opinion. See if you can have a reputable transmission shop take a look at the truck to see what they think.

I hope you don't think that I'm trying to be a jerk by saying this stuff. I'm just trying to get you to weigh all of your options and possibly make a large financial decision. In the end, it's your truck, your money, and your choice. I think it would be worth it to have the transmission rebuilt if it was mine. Of course I would also rather drive an IDI powered truck for just about anything so I may be a little bit prejudiced here.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
These sure can be rebuilt. There's upgrades from making it more reliable all the way up to transmissions that can hold up to more power than our IDI engines can make. The price tag goes up pretty quickly after the basic upgrades. The top of the line John Woods transmissions go for over $6000 plus core. Is it worth it? That's your call. A transmission rebuild isn't in the budget of very many of us and we would have to figure out how to pay for it. Do you like your truck? Do you love your truck? Would it be worth the cost to have the transmission rebuilt Vs. buying a different truck that may need the same thing in a short time? These are the type of questions that you'll have ask yourself and answer honestly.

Now I'm not trying to badmouth anyone here with this. Why does your mechanic think that the transmission needs to be rebuilt? Has it been performing badly in some way? Before condemning your transmission, maybe you should get a second opinion. See if you can have a reputable transmission shop take a look at the truck to see what they think.

I hope you don't think that I'm trying to be a jerk by saying this stuff. I'm just trying to get you to weigh all of your options and possibly make a large financial decision. In the end, it's your truck, your money, and your choice. I think it would be worth it to have the transmission rebuilt if it was mine. Of course I would also rather drive an IDI powered truck for just about anything so I may be a little bit prejudiced here.

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
By no means do I think you are a jerk or badmouthing anyone!!!! I respect your opinion and honesty and always look forward to your replies. Did not get a reason from the mechanic yet,I was with patients when he called but I will get more info on Monday. I have had no problems except the smoke and decrease of speed on hill. Even bought a very light trailer 5200 pounds.All I want is to be able to haul the trailer around to go horse camping about every 2 weeks. It is not a daily runner and I do like the truck. I hope I can get an affordable rebuild. You have been most helpful!!! Thanks so much!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All I want is to be able to haul the trailer around to go horse camping about every 2 weeks.
Now that sounds like a worthwhile pastime.

Every once in a while I have to make sure about the intentions behind my wording. As nice as this type of communication is, it's still hard to send emotions and speaking tones along with typed words.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's the guy on FB, I live in PA always like to know where parts and fellow IDIers are.

Already posted it :p

He's at least on a couple of the IDI groups. Look up John Clugston. I've never dealt with him yet but he always has parts or whole trucks on there. Had a whole factory kit on there for.... $950 maybe? At least worth looking into!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chillman as always, would love for the turbo fairy to drop one in the truck,but aint holdin' my breath on that. I think that this truck can handle the light trailer I got....my other one was 12k loaded and had a reason to be slow. Hopefully my boys at the shop can figure this out. Buuuut...got a spare turbo sitting around anywhere??!!!!...lol
If I relied on fairies to 'drop one' in my truck, I'm afraid they wouldn't be dropping a turbo... ;):flush

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online