Black smoke after injection pump and new injectors

DHunter7

Reaction score
I've been following this forum for a couple years ever since I bought my truck, and I must say I've learned a lot from all of you without even having to create a new thread. But I'm kinda of stumped on this problem, if it even is a problem.

A little background on the truck first. It's a 1993 7.3 IDI NA. I bought it 2 years ago when it had around 170000 miles on and didn't run the greatest. I installed a new dynomax exhaust system shortly after I bought it. After driving it a few thousand miles it began to blow white smoke terribly at idle and deceleration, and was very difficult to start if I'd go into a store for a half hour or so. So after reading many posts on here I determined I needed to do a fuel system overhaul. I bought new BB injectors, return line, and a MINI moose pump from Conestoga and followed his very detailed installation instructions. After installation I rented a meter from icanfixall and timed at 9.5 and the truck ran better than I had ever hoped for.

The truck ran great for the first couple hundred miles after installation, but I noticed it started to blow black smoke lately more than I thought it should. I only have about half a pedals worth of travel before I can hear the motor change its sound and start to blow black smoke, which happens a lot driving through these hills of WV.

I'm not sure if this is really a problem, but I don't want to hurt my fuel mileage or wear out the pump and injectors prematurely. Could I possibly need to adjust the timing a little bit, or maybe turn down the fuel on the pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
black smoke = too much fuel.
contact Mel before trying to adjust anything.

the best thing to do to remedy this is to add a bunch more air.
ttttuuuurrrbbbbooooo!!! :D

how hot does the pyro get?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed I get quite a bit more black smoke as I advance the timing on my truck. I think it's pretty normal and likely not much to worry about. If you want make a mark where it is now (so you can return it there later) then retard the timing a dime's width just to see what happens to your smoke. If you prefer the retarded timing maybe rent the meter again and set it at 7.5 make a mark, set it at 8.5 and make a mark. That way you can change the timing to suit your mood.

I'll change things around on my truck depending on fuel. In the summer when I'm running B100 I advance to 9.5, If I left it this far advanced in the winter on B3 the engine sounds like it's going to rattle to pieces (especially when on cold advance) so I go back to 8.5. It's nice having the extra marks to move timing around quickly.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your air intake for restrictions and keep an eye on your EGT's. If you feel it is running differently then it did when you first put it in, certainly something has changed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thought based solely on what you have posted is you have an air restriction of some sort. Take off the air filter and see if you can see any sunshine thru it. Not knowing what air filter you have leaves plenty of debate. I recall telling you to make several timing marks at different degrees of timing. If you did this then I suggest you try reducing the advance some. If you did not make the center punch marks in the pump to gear housing joint line then please make on e now. Then reduce the advance about 2 degrees. That means you will move the pump towards the drivers side fender about the thickness of a dime. Making the center punch mark will allow you to return the pump to a known timing degree with certainty.