Biodiesel

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our trip cross-country coming up... was wondering if there are any biodiesel stops along the way... I-40 East from California to South Carolina, with layovers in Houston and Lead Hill, AR... hahaha...

Can I run biodiesel with no modifications to the truck? Been hearing about it on the Midnight Trucking network... sounds like it is worth a shot.

Thank you,

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running B5 with no problem. Comes from a company called Amerigreen.

gandalf

Reaction score
Morning Mike,

I've been burning B99 biodiesel in my truck for about six months. I diluted it some when the cold weather came, but not sure it was absolutely necessary. We don't get quite cold enough to make that a necessity.

I've had no ill effects from the biodiesel. Our trucks are borderline on being ready, in stock form, for biodiesel. I've been watching my fuel lines and seen no leaks. I think the PO may have replaced them at some point, though that's only a guess. I get more smoke at startup, but thats only temperary. I've experienced no loss of power, and perhaps a slightly quieter and smoother running engine.

Take a look at this site: http://biodiesel.org/ They've got some good information, and a list of biodiesel purchase locations http://biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/distributors/
From an entirely different perspective, I'd rather buy biodiesel and support some farmer in this country than buy dinojuice and support somebody who's raking me over the coals. I'll take care of my homeboy first, everytime.

If you want to test biodiesel. do so well in advance of your trip. Give yourself plenty of time for Murphy to ****** with you, and time to upgrade any/all rubber lines and parts to viton if necessary. Install a sacrificial fuel filter, and carry at least one spare.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I guess the only question I have at this point is where can I get biodiesel near Monterey, CA?

I'll fill one tank with it and see how things go...

Mike

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gandalf said:
I've been burning B99 biodiesel in my truck for about six months. I diluted it some when the cold weather came, but not sure it was absolutely necessary. We don't get quite cold enough to make that a necessity.

I've had no ill effects from the biodiesel.
Just wondering, where are you getting your B99 from? When diesel prices skyrocketed last fall, I started running B99 from Western States Oil Co. in San Jose in my Benz...and noticed a reduction in power (full throttle where 3/4 throttle would normally work) and fuel economy (went down to 22mpg from 25 mpg with no change in driving habits), that immediately went back to normal after going back to dino-fuel (politically, I agree completely, but on my budget, I can't justify paying $1.00+ extra per gallon). Never tried it in the truck, though, and AFAIK there weren't any leaks in the car's fuel system...

If you're going to Western States, what are they charging these days?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Gimmie your exact point of origin and destination, and I'll run it through PCMiler, although, I can prolly quote you the most efficient way off the top of my head.

gandalf

Reaction score
The Warden said:
Just wondering, where are you getting your B99 from? When diesel prices skyrocketed last fall, I started running B99 from Western States Oil Co. in San Jose in my Benz...and noticed a reduction in power (full throttle where 3/4 throttle would normally work) and fuel economy (went down to 22mpg from 25 mpg with no change in driving habits), that immediately went back to normal after going back to dino-fuel (politically, I agree completely, but on my budget, I can't justify paying $1.00+ extra per gallon). Never tried it in the truck, though, and AFAIK there weren't any leaks in the car's fuel system...

If you're going to Western States, what are they charging these days?

Western States it is, out on S 10th St. I don't use too much though, simply because I don't drive the truck too much. Fuel economy is not too good, and size with the camper makes it pretty big.

Prices today at Western States are: regular diesel=$2.73 Ultra Low Sulfer=$2.86 B99=$3.32

I can't really comment on the hit to mileage. I switched to biodiesel at the same time I put the camper on the truck. Now its like driving a big brick down the road. cookoo Sure does catch alot of air.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess I am at a loss here. If Biodiesel is so much more, why are people buying it! I thought it was supposed to be a low cost alternative. I can't imagine paying more for something that so many people have trouble with, although I assume many of the problems are from home brewers who have problems as well. Fortunately, I don't drive my truck that much, so I will probably not "experiment" with it to find out.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
I guess I am at a loss here. If Biodiesel is so much more, why are people buying it! I thought it was supposed to be a low cost alternative. I can't imagine paying more for something that so many people have trouble with, although I assume many of the problems are from home brewers who have problems as well. Fortunately, I don't drive my truck that much, so I will probably not "experiment" with it to find out.

I believe mpg is supposed to improve with biodiesel... that offsets some of the cost.

The other thing is that it supports USA farmers, according to the radio propaganda I've been hearing on the Midnight Trucking network. Sounds like time for me to invest in a little land... and soybeans (good crop in my part of Texas...)

Mike

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, supporting the farmers is a priority of mine, since I live in the heart of Ohio farmland. I support them by driving a tractor at planting/harvest time etc. to help out. I suppose if all else were equal or mileage improved (not what many are posting as well as a decrease in power) and the hassles were non-existant, I would try it, but it sounds like trouble to me! :)

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep the only thing with Bio is its been known to eat regular ruber lines which most of us have so just a heads up for later down the road

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the fix for the rubber line problem? (I assume you're talking about the return lines AND fuel lines?? Any other lines I should worry about?) Who makes lines capable of handling the stuff?

Mike