Between a rock and 2 hard places

Beastconoline

Reaction score
Hey y'all. My name is keV. I have an 85 Econoline 350 with 6.9, turbo, gear vendor, lift, 4x4 and etc. I bought it about 5 years ago. Back then I did the heads, studs, IP, cam, lift pump, and injectors...last year while towing a camper across NY mountains I started blowing white smoke and pressurizing the crankcase.

I do not have the time to do all this work again between my kids and slave job and I'm moving.

I would like to buy a new motor and do a swap then rebuild the one that's in there now at my leisure.

Does anyone know where or how to obtain a 6.9 idi new crated or reliably rebuilt?

Thanks, Peace and Blessings!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. My name is keV. I have an 85 Econoline 350 with 6.9, turbo, gear vendor, lift, 4x4 and etc. I bought it about 5 years ago. Back then I did the heads, studs, IP, cam, lift pump, and injectors...last year while towing a camper across NY mountains I started blowing white smoke and pressurizing the crankcase.

I do not have the time to do all this work again between my kids and slave job and I'm moving.

I would like to buy a new motor and do a swap then rebuild the one that's in there now at my leisure.

Does anyone know where or how to obtain a 6.9 idi new crated or reliably rebuilt?

Thanks, Peace and Blessings!
I can build it for you, but I’m not setup to ship yet, so you would either be picking it up locally or arranging shipping to get it to you.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Better jump on that hard. I had my own 6.9 block and spent 3700 doing it all myself and my wife works at O'Reily and got a commercial account myself on top of my 10% disabled veteran discount. Thats a steal of a deal and Wes will do more than i did on my rebuild. He's almost paying u to let him rebuild one for u.

Beastconoline

Reaction score
And that's why I'm "between a rock and 2 hard places"....maybe more than 2, I remember doing my build years ago and the price just kept increasing but was rewarding. If Wes is $5 plus getting it shipped ID do better going local for the rebuild of the one that's in there now but I still have to weigh my options.

Grateful for all the feedback!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine builds are quite the rabbit hole, as simple as these engines are, it’s not hard to drop ten grand into one for someone who’s after some big power. If it were me, and it sounds like you have the ability to do some wrenching yourself; I would put a good running used engine in for the time being, and rebuild what you got as time allows you.

FYI, shipping costs for one of these big burthas are about $500 and up in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle