Better ride on the cheap

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Took my 88 out for a couple hour trail ride yesterday, performed flawless except my kidneys/back/stomach/ribs are killing me. The ride was horrific, far worse than i remember it before. Basically idling down the trail, some times i would bounce up n off my seat it was that bad, and i was going less than 5 mph. While i know its a truck, i cant handle that lol.

FYI, i leveled the front out with two short leaves and one overload from an F-150 rear pack. Im going to remove the overload leaf and see how it is (and maybe add another thinner leaf to keep it leveled). But if that doesnt help, what else can i do cost effectivly to reduce some of the bounce? It was so bad that a few times my g/f almost hit her head off the roof and i was going as fast as i can walk!

I do have a set of Bilstein shocks for it, hopefully that will help somewhat. I dont have the money or resources or time now to do a RSK or RSK/SD spring. That is on my list, but i have other things to get to first.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For trail rides, air down the tires- even if it's easy terrain. It makes a huge difference in ride quality and it's free. You can probably go down to 10-12psi and not roll a bead off depending on your tires and terrain.

I run 5-7 psi in my truggy, but it's got bead locks and is a lightweight Toyota...

To air up, I use a power tank c02 system if I have to drive far.

Ryan

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Get those bilsteins out of the box and on the truck where they will do you some good cookoo
Heck, last fall, we were up in Leadville CO and took my beast up to go looking at old mines and wound up on some old squirrily 4x4 only roads up over 13,000 ft ( hey it's a dually, that's 4 wheels driving, right :D With a fresh rebuilt posi and the low range on my brownie , I didn't have any trouble, but that monster didn't ride bad I do also have air bags on the rear on automatic levelers that will pretty much keep it from touching the overloads when running empty ( empty is a relitive term with that truck considering how heavy the bed is and the 150 gal bed tank ) and an air seat that takes the edge off everything :D

Having shocks that won't move on a bumpy dirt road is nothing but torture, and it's also dangerous as you are likely to break something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online