Best vacuum pump?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Which one is the best? I already did all the checks, and it is the pump. Is there a different version available, like a rotary vane kind of thing. Also can a electric pump work, like work the brakes and A/C / heat and what not without issue? Or how about a performance one like http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/22640/10002/-1

Any info would be great. Thanks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one is the best? I already did all the checks, and it is the pump. Is there a different version available, like a rotary vane kind of thing. Also can a electric pump work, like work the brakes and A/C / heat and what not without issue? Or how about a performance one like http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/22640/10002/-1

Any info would be great. Thanks.

For what we need the pump to do, a factory pump is more than adequate. If anything just add a large reservoir tank for holding a larger vacuum volume so to speak.

The stock pumps are just find no need for a fancy race pump or anything like that.

Try ebay for the utech or U Haul sales stuff for some good deals on the parts.

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... For the price of the Jegs pump you could install 4 standard vacuum pumps and still have change in your poscket. As posted... No need for something like that... To answer your questions. Will that pump handle the ac and brakes... Maybe is my best answer. Clearly the stock vacuum pumps live a long good life. They can be oiled up too. Just remove the pump from the mount. Remove the back plug. Drain out the oil oil and refill with new. These pumps operate being driven both directions.. I found this out the hard way at the 2009 ralley... Trvis asked me how my vacuum was working.. I answered fine.. Why do you ask.. Then he pointed out my serpentine belt was driveing the wrong side of the vacuum pump pulley and not touching it all the time. I recalled on my 2200 miles trip to the ralley my cruise control would just drop out. I guess I lost vacuum. I even had a serpentine belt diagram to follow when installing the belt... But still messed it up... What a Darwin award winner I was...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel I should add this about the vacuum pump. If you switch over to the hydroboost brake system you can do away with the belt driven vacuum pump and live off most any electrical driven vacuum pump. The power steering pump supplys all the hydraulic pressure to operate the brake system and it doubles your brake line pressure... Its a much better safer brakeing system then. Vacuum after that is only needed for the cruise control or the ac heater vents. If its not connected to the ac vents then the system automatically resorts to the defrost vents and sends heat or cold air at the windshield. Thats an addeded safety item the DOT made many years ago...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna add this little story.
Last summer I was replacing my vac pump, in a effort to save some dollars got a used pump from a local salvage yard.
My pump was a serpentine type pulley, the used one I got was a v-belt. My thought was just switch the pulleys.
What I found out was that v-belt pulley pump has a little larger shaft diameter then my serpentine style.
Don't know if this was a older vs newer style pump thing, but beware.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yep i havent had a vacuum pump for a few years now. Hydroboost brakes and no working a/c means no use for vacuum.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i went hydro brakes and ditched the stock pump too.shorter belt and just set a Dorman #904-214 on the inner fender.self regulating,turns on/off as it needs vac.-just used to change air flow direction for HVAC.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna add this little story.
Last summer I was replacing my vac pump, in a effort to save some dollars got a used pump from a local salvage yard.
My pump was a serpentine type pulley, the used one I got was a v-belt. My thought was just switch the pulleys.
What I found out was that v-belt pulley pump has a little larger shaft diameter then my serpentine style.
Don't know if this was a older vs newer style pump thing, but beware.

OK that is quite peculiar to the point I gotta go check this out...I'm confused now....

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have seen this written up here a few times in the past. About the only other thing differant in these vacuum pumps is the V belt has a simple drilled mount where the serpentine belt has a drilled and threaded mount. Some of the suction pipe direction pointed may also be pointd in another direction... But they still suck no matter what direction they are set up.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al & Gary,
Don't know if it helps the pickup I pulled it from was a 88, 7.3.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The vacuum pump is one of very few things that hasn't been replaced on my rig. I have no idea how old it is, may very well be the original. With 2 spares to back it up, it may never go bad.LOL