Best oil pump for 6.9L?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
well we started to put together the 6.9 today! ;Sweet we were happy just plasti-gauging the bearings, and setting the crank in. i realized i never got a new oil pump.... what's the best brand oil pump to go with for the 6.9 engine??

Thanks!
-Jon :dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well we started to put together the 6.9 today! ;Sweet we were happy just plasti-gauging the bearings, and setting the crank in. i realized i never got a new oil pump.... what's the best brand oil pump to go with for the 6.9 engine??

Thanks!
-Jon :dunno
melling make one but it's simpler to drop by the stealership.
Most aftermarket parts guys will never have sold one.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick search at autozone

Melling / Oil Pump
Warranty - 1 YR M-165
$91.99

Or a higher dollar one whose brand ive never heard of

Hi Tech / Oil Pump
Warranty - 2 YR OM-165
$126.99

Ive always ran melling in all my SB chevys Generally the High Volume but its not offered for the 6.9 at least not at autozone.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a melling in mine and wont buyy another one, the quality control is not what it used to be. It had too much end play, so I took it apart to tighten it up and it was ugly inside. My engine parts guy got me in touch with the local melling rep and he said well, we cant check every one. I have used melling for years and that is not a good attitude to have, they are the biggest pump maker in the us, most all brands are melling that is reboxed. If you must have a new one go to IH>
take the cover off yours and measure it and look for scoring, if there is none I would reuse it. I am putting my old one back in as soon as I need to pull the pan

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i WAS gonna use the origional one but my friend said it'd be best to run a new one. plus i found a small spring and pin in the oil pan when i tore it down, i'm afraid that may have been from the oil pump. :dunno i'll have to call international and see what they want.

any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!
-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online