Best headlight upgrade I've made

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced my headlights this year, makes the truck look new again.I was wondering if the relay mod is going to improve the light out put on my 1994. or is this mod for the earlier years?
The relay mod works the same for the 92-97 trucks as it does the older ones. Makes the lights a bit brighter, and it keeps your headlight switch from starting a fire :D

I need to get my relay kit going again, the terminal going to the battery corroded and fell off and I've been too lazy to fix it. Even with clear lenses and Silverstar Ultra's, the relays make a good bit of difference.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the LEDs is that the light isn't coming from the same place in the bulb as it comes from in the original incandescent bulb. That means that the reflector can't focus it properly, and you wind up illuminating the whole road, including the oncoming traffic. That's great, until you have your low beams on and the oncoming traffic keeps flashing their high beams at you because you're blinding them.

I've been running LED headlights in one of my trucks, and I'm not satisfied, even though they are definitely brighter. They don't illuminate as far down the road as the originals, and I really don't like being the jerk shining my headlights in your eyes.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only think I had to do was lower my beam angle a little, other than that I have a nice flat pattern like new cars do. I'm not sure why it always comes down to pattern and beam angle on led lights when a normal bulb is round and throws light 360 around itself essentially no pattern. I almost think my led bulbs are more of a flat down the road pattern than my old bulbs were. But that also dependent on the led bulbs being used, different bulbs in led version can have different patterns/brightness/ color temp. All factors in what can bother oncoming traffic. No cops bothering me or brights flashing and most my driving is at night

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used this kit on my Toyota highlander... these HID lights are really priced right and made an enormous difference. My headlight is the new projector style. They come with a relay if you want to install it, but the light draws less power than a stock halogen so I just wired it straight up. No issues with the lights pointing too high or bright, though the toyota lens is a different design.

I only used low beams as my Toyota has a separate high beam light. 4300k is a nice bright white, without starting to look bluish.

https://www.xenondepot.com/9004-HID-Kit-Xtreme-HID-p/xt-9004.htm

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pelky, in my case, the LEDs have good 360 degree coverage, but the LEDs are in a slightly different location, and the light comes from a much wider area than from the original 9004 bulbs. There's no way the reflector is going to be able to focus it.

I do have an HID set that I'm going to try in that truck, but I'm afraid that it's going to have the same problem - the light emitting area isn't the same shape as the original bulb.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of us want brighter lights and dont want to blind people maybe we should come up with a solution somehow that's not too expensive like a easier mod to instal projectors or maybe just research different brand led lights with real test like parking away from a wall a truck night to see the light pattern differences? It's too bad brick nose trucks don't have any real aftermarket lights like the areo nose trucks do the demand is almost there at least for someone with some spare time to make a small buisness of it? I can get headlights for like 10$ a set to play with if someone could point me in a direction to eBay projectors that would plug into stock wiring? Or some halo ringed projector lights maybe?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never used projectors, but I’m sure it can be done. If it’s something that a good amount of people would use then I could probably put something together.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Look around the forums. People been doing it on fords for years. Were a few members kicking around that offered it as a service.
For the most part, the projectors are the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pafixitman

Reaction score
Look around the forums. People been doing it on fords for years. Were a few members kicking around that offered it as a service.
For the most part, the projectors are the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think it is Tony Rojo on FB that offers them. Not saying they are not worth what he gets, but I'll put a brodozer light bar on my bumper before I dump that kind of money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online