Best additive to clean the fuel system?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
My 84' has a rebuilt engine that has about 50k on it. I don;t know where it's been or how the dude before me ran b100 or wvo so I want to clean out the injectors, fuel pump and the lines. What would be the best thing to add to b2? 20% BD for that matter? Supposedly VO can clean stuff up? Should I just mix some clean canola oil 50/50 with pump diesel?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with running at least acceptable quality B100 in it. Some would say nothing wrong with that WVO either. Are you only going to be running 100 petro diesel in there? If so, I would do nothing with the fuel system and just dose it with some Power service, Stanadyne or Howe's at each fillup. If you'll be burning B100, just blend in a bit of additive every now and then and when the weather is cold. You might also need a bit of regular diesel to keep it reliably starting in very cold weather.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bio Diesel itself is one of the best solvents / cleaners there is. If that's what the PO run in it you prolly can't get the fuel system much cleaner.

I wouldn't mix SVO that high of a ratio in a truck that isn't set up to run it, you are risking coking the injectors and messing up the IP. SVO & WVO systems are heated and the engines are first started on diesel and also shut off on diesel to flush the vegetable oil from the system.

Last edited:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Any idea what a two tank (I have two tanks) svo or wvo system would cost to install? Looks like it's tank heaters and potentially in line heaters for the fuel lines?

I've seen the kits sold on the Net - they seem awfully expensive - and I'm not in a place where I could DIY myself right now. Just wondering if there is a secret "in" way of doing this inexpensively.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea what a two tank (I have two tanks) svo or wvo system would cost to install? Looks like it's tank heaters and potentially in line heaters for the fuel lines?

I've seen the kits sold on the Net - they seem awfully expensive - and I'm not in a place where I could DIY myself right now. Just wondering if there is a secret "in" way of doing this inexpensively.
firstly....+1 on tonka's comments on the B100.
Also, you might want to check your rubber fuel hose. If you haven't converted to bio compatible hose, you might want to do so before you get a shower of the stuff when you are forced to do so.
Secondly.....the front tank is a little cheaper to convert due to the shorter run to the motor. Also, for me, fitting the front tank with a heater core was much easier.