Best 6.9 Rebuild Kit?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have begun my search for a suitable core to rebuild and swap my engine out. Nothing really wrong except for a seeping head gasket and you know how things evolve... got to pull the heads=might as well stud=might as well rebuild the ip=might as well put a cam in while its apart=might as well pull the block to do that=might as well do a performance rebuild.

So I am collecting parts, ordered the new studs today.

Whats the best kit to buy?

Should I replace the pistons?

I have heard a few times "if they know how to build an idi"... what are the things to know? I will be doing it all myself from start to finish, I have access to a full machine shop to do what ever I need to.

DragRag

Reaction score
I would personally skip the rebuild,and just buy a used good running 6.9 or 7.3l. It is much much cheaper option. You could try to retorque your heads to stop the seeping, I have had success doing that in the past. Make sure and break the bolt loose when retorquing it, or you will not have tightened the bolt to the proper spec, or about 5lbs higher.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have begun my search for a suitable core to rebuild and swap my engine out. Nothing really wrong except for a seeping head gasket and you know how things evolve... got to pull the heads=might as well stud=might as well rebuild the ip=might as well put a cam in while its apart=might as well pull the block to do that=might as well do a performance rebuild.

So I am collecting parts, ordered the new studs today.

Whats the best kit to buy?

Should I replace the pistons?

I have heard a few times "if they know how to build an idi"... what are the things to know? I will be doing it all myself from start to finish, I have access to a full machine shop to do what ever I need to.

I would love to come back there and show you how its done.
you gonna need a torque cam?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would personally skip the rebuild,and just buy a used good running 6.9 or 7.3l. It is much much cheaper option. You could try to retorque your heads to stop the seeping, I have had success doing that in the past. Make sure and break the bolt loose when retorquing it, or you will not have tightened the bolt to the proper spec, or about 5lbs higher.

Since he has a machine shop at his disposal it will be way cheap and it wont need sleeved being a 6.9

I would get a .030 over kit and build an engine that will last many miles.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drag, I already have a great running 6.9 but if i am going to have to break those seals I might as well go all the way.
Typ, yes I will be ordering a cam soon.

And I dont have a machine shop but I helped a guy who does and he said if I ever need anything.....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I found that doing your own research gets you great prices for excellent parts. Not as easy as buying a kit, but considerably less expensive.

The only thing I say about rebuilding an engine is to have the rotating mass balanced. It is worth every penny. Everything else is a mater of taste and perspective.

If the bores are OK, reuse your pistons, get new rings. Rebuild the rods and replace the rod bushings. Check the piston oilers and remove any crap that may have accumulated in them.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a block with bolt in oilers not press in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat