berus?

Black dawg

Reaction score
how long do they usually last. Ive had good luck in the past with the ac 32g, but the quality has gone to crap fast. over the last year ive returned 10 bad plugs, and the last time I was given a plug that looked like an autolite but was marked ac32g. I tested this plug, and at 13secs it popped just like an autolite. Im ready to try something else.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly...prior to installing all new Beru's I had a very long, good experiance with Champions >well over 10 years and more like 15 or so. Of course one would burn out here and there, it's to be expected.
I actually would 'carefully' hand test them using a battery...count to 10 and see which GP's came to life the fastest. Crude I know but it seemed to work at the time. Now I just replace when dead.

With the above being said...I just lost a Beru, 1 out of 8 that...I'm guessing this is either the 3rd or 4th winter coming up on them.

I do recall, my "original motorcraft/Beru's" GP when I bought my truck new in 1988 weren't in the engine all that long >and I replaced them w/the champions.

I think different elements must be taken into consideration "how long" a glow plug will last.
ie >condition of GP system, connections, how many times do you start your truck in a day and the list can go on!
So who knows how long they will last :dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My grandpas 83 was still running 5 of the 8 original Beru glow plugs when we wrecked it, and it had over 650k miles on that engine. And this was back in 06 when we wrecked it, so that means they were still going strong at 23 years old. I guess they just dont make stuff the way they used to. For years and years though my dad swore they said Bosch on them, everyone has told me Ford never put Bosch plugs in these engines so they must be Beru's. I've personally never taken them out to look though. lol I know 3 of the plugs are autolites though so I've been afraid to pull any of them.