Bent rim straightening???

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got an alignment today and had the shop rebalace two wheels and tires, discovered my rear rim (that I wanted to put up front) is bent badly. About 6 months ago the stupid drunk accross the street backed a dodge conversion van into my truck, just as I yelled at him to stop his bumper hit my rim but just scaped off a bit of aluminum:mad:. Afterwards I didn't think it was bent but now that I know if is if I drive slow I can see my bedrail bounce with every rev of the tire.

So I like the way my wheels look, I hate that they are 16.5 but I still want to keep them. Can I get it straightened? According to what I have read online they can now straighten alum. rims. Anyone done this? Can anyone recomend a company in Central Florida? Also, any ideas on what I should expect to pay?

Thanks,

-Rob

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it takes some specialized(read expensive) equipment to straighten alloy rims. The problem is: the first time it bends, the second time it breaks. I tried several times to save trailer rims at the truck line. Always seemed that once it's bent, it's junk.

The only luck I had was to weld in a damaged spot, and grind/buff to match the surrounding area. Definitely NOT a DOT approved repair, but did make a junk rim useable, at least. FOR THE RECORD, this is not a suggestion, only a reflection on past events.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the tire shop i used to work at we used one company and when we got the rims back they looked brand new, and were perfectly straight. you couldnt tell it was ever bent. i believe in them but its all personal preferance. if you dont or wont turst it then dont do it. if you think you can trust it then go for it. any good tire shop should be able to recommend a place to send them to get straightened

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Check the high end wheel shops, they should be able to point you to a wheel repair shop. They are few and far between and hard to find, but it can be done. There are shops that specialize in straightening and recoating alloy wheels. If they are repairable, they will come back looking like new.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Stockton wheel straightens rims. They've got a heck of a reputation. You could always call them for a quote. Problem there is you'd have to send your rims to them.

I know a fellow that damaged one of the nicest sets of aluminum Scout Midas wheels you'd ever see. He was sick about it. He brought it in to a good local machine shop and they repaired them. Even if you knew where the damaged area was you couldn't tell.

Also, I've been to a few bone yards in the area who have those old 16.5 aluminum rims from Ford pickups. A lot of times you can get them for a pretty good price.

Good luck,

Paul

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! Thats all good news, thanks for the input and links. I'll check em out and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again,

-Rob