BENEFITS OF THE IDI?

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of info on here about the truck that I just bought and many of you have answered several of my questions. Thanks!!! I was just reading the Moose write up about IDI's and what to look for in your new truck. I was curious to know of any benefits of the IDI over a PSD or a Cummins. Are there any? I'll tell you, I am really lovin the truck I just bought, that PSD I used to have was a great truck, but man, this IDI even with no turbo is great. Thanks again....

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper and simpler. Some say better mileage but I suspect that's because of the lower power output.

All things being equel (price, condition) I'd take a PSD any day.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a 99 psd to a 93 idi and wouldn't go back. I can work on the idi w/o a computer, parts are cheaper, and the driveline is much simpler too.

I will say that the PSD never wanted for power, but my IDI will pull anything the powerstroke will if you are patient. . . . Oh!! And you have to love the smell of the IDI!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy to work on and cheap parts. Better fuel mileage.....not really, I've seen great mileage from IDIs and great mileage from PSD motors, as high as low 20s allegedly. I've also seen crappy mileage from each. It depends on the driver, driveline, city/highway driving mix and more. I suspect each motor is a little different. The Cummins 12V probably is the best choice for fuel economy, but if something breaks its going to be expensive. Also the early Dodge trucks just aren't as nice as a Ford.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Being a Freightliner dealer technician I spend my day working on all sorts of Diesels....Seeing all the electronics, EGR and DPF's that I have to deal with now I love my old IDI more every day:love: .....Simple, good on fuel and cheap to fix.....Runs like a champ for 412,000km. I have a 97 PSD in my shop under the bench but I think I'll just rebuild my IDI if it ever goes bad.;Sweet $1500-$2000 and I'd be back on the road.

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it's really the simplicity of the motor? That's what I liked about it when i first saw it. Now, I'm no diesel mechanic, but I could work on the IDI, not an overhaul, but a little here and there. That PSD made me nervous looking under the hood. I almost bought an old dodge, but I'm a Ford man, that would've hurt too much.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A Dodge?:eek: .....Now that woulda' been a step down.:D :idiot: :rotflmao ...Hard to beat Ford trucks for longevity and toughness....So cheap and plentiful that you can run one for a LONG time.;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Wanna count them :D
IDI- 12v to energise the IP and thats it! ...you could even bypass that with a cable if needed ;Sweet try that with a PSD :eek: LOL

Easy access to both GP's and nozzles----covers need to come off on the PSD.

IDI does not have the electrical bridge connectors -UVC- the PSD has and that equals less $ and easier troubleshooting.

The IDI does not require a turbo to run :D

And for those concerned about a possible EMP strike.....IDI's will be the only diesels running :hail

Having driven and owned both IDI's and PSD's since the early 80's I beleieve I can safely state that fly by wire engines can indeed produce some stoopid power, IDI's will allways be around to tow them back to the shop ;Sweet :cheers: