Bench bleeding BMC with no plastic hoses?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I bought a Brake Master Cylinder for my ride. I noticed when I opened the box that it did not come with a small bleeder kit as most BMC kits do.. It did however, come with 2 small threaded plugs... Can anyone shine some light on this? or do i have to go and purchase one separately? Thank you for your time. Su amigo: mexicanjoe!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres a few ways to bleed a mc, I prefer to put dummy fittings in and run hose into the reservoir then circulate the fluid till there's no air. The plug you got you can put in and just pump the mc till it quits bubbling, I dont care for that setup but it works if you have no other options

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kits are nice but like Wes said you can do without. I put mine in a vice and had a bucket under it then plugged the holes and left it topped off with fluid till I installed it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A few years back, I bought a bleeder tool that is a syringe with a tapered rubber piece over the end where a needle would go if it was for giving shots. The way you use it is simple. You dip the rubber piece into a reservoir that' full of brake fluid, tip it up, slightly depress the plunger to get rid of the air, then you hold the rubber piece on the place where the brake line screws onto the master cylinder, and push the brake fluid through the port backwards. When you don't see any more air bubbles, move to the second side. When you're not getting any more air out, install the master cylinder, top off the brake fluid, and drive off. I was having master cylinder problems with both of my trucks and I got to the point that I could do the entire swap and bleeding in about 20 minutes or less with hand tools.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEy guys I took WESPAULS advice and as usual it worked. Now I have some good brake pedal......however in this cold snap I found my brakes to be a tad stiff? Any ideas? Thanks WESPAUL for your help.........

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you call a cold snap, I know in Texas anything under 60* is freezing.... :rotflmao

How are you're vacuum lines? Do you have a way to test the pump?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nostrokes , you have no idea how true that remark is! As for the vacuum hoses , I can hook up a vacuum gage and let it drop to 22" of vacuum and turn the engine off. I can hold this vacuum for about 10 minutes before the needle moves. AT times it will hold vacuum all night. I can tell by the vacuum servo motor on the HVAC box. I can well imagine the cold has lots to do with the stiff pedal. After the engine warms up and a few stops the pedal actually improves. But what the hey, 30 year old pickup is going to have some issues. Im just going to nickel and dime this thing till i get it where I want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online