BELT WON'T STAY ON

CH302K

Reaction score
I hace a 1993 f350 dually with a 7.3 non turbo.My keeps flying off.It stays on for about one month.A new belt twice now.Any help for me with this?
Thanks
Chuck

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Check the alignment of the pulleys, check for play in ALL of the pulleys, including idler and tensioner, I presume the tensioner is holding tension?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a serpentine belt, as I assume it is?

What tensioner do you have? Is it with or without the little shock? How old is it?

Are all the backside of belt surfaces of pulleys in good condition?

Are all the grooved pulleys in good condition?

Are any bearings showing wear by allowing pulleys to flex/move causing wandering?

More details please.

CH302K

Reaction score
It is serpentine belt.It has a spring tensioner.No little shock.I will have to assume it has 199,000 miles on it.Pulleys look fine.When the belt spit off,I did spin and shake the pulleys.They all seemed fine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you noticed any wear on one side or the other...in all likely hood the tensioner is getting weak, I suspect that the new belts have no dust or wear on them and grip better and over time as they get a little polish on them it could invariably slip off if tensioner is not as strong as it should be...

Just my suspicion...other's will likely chime in with more/different/better ideas...

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Generally its known with that many miles on the belt the idler pulley rounds off so the belt gets thrown. Remove the belt and idler and look closely at the pulley. If its curved get another one. They are cheap on ebay or Nappa. Also use a mirror to look at the front of the spring tensioner. There is a measured scale on there that tells you the tensioner is in its range to work well.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the mounting bolt out of the tensioner, it has like a nylon sleeve on it, it wears and lets the pulley droop a little and the belt flies off. Did on mine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
with that kind of mileage you can pretty well bet that the tensioner and both pulleys are gonners. they are fairly cheap though so, just get new ones check the wear on the vacuum pump pulley as well, they can get a nasty groove in them. the tensioner will come with one pulley, the catalogs usually dont list the other, but just bring it in and match it up, its a common size

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
also what brand belt are you getting and what size and where are you getting it? different stores push different sizes and brands for the application and some like to fling off, ironically the *tighter* belts will come off faster than a closer to proper fit belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online