Belt Tensioner Exploded Tonight

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my way home, minding my own business :D

Cheap a$$ piece of crap only lasted 2 years.

My '92 has the enclosed spring, but the auto parts house lists the '92 as the exposed spring. Mine costs $105, the other $45 cookoo

I actually need the '93 enclosed spring. Is the spring housing bolted to the block on the '93 models? If so, can I get retrofit mine to use the cheaper exposed spring?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I misplaced the tensioner bolt. Is it simply a regular bolt, or is there something special to it?
you might want to look a little harder for it. the bolt head is a little smaller and the blot flange a little larger to make getting a socket in easier.
if you do have to improvise, a allen head screw will do you better. it is metric threaded.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have run both the "shock" style and the other style on my truck and yes: both have grenaded, and both are pretty poorly made. I got Ford to warranty the last one that came appart as it was less than two years old, but they didn't cover the idler or the belt that it ate when it came apart. Luckily I was just pulling into a buddy's place and shut it down before it did any real damage.

I can say that I've seen some really nice new tensioners made by Gates. Don't know if they make one for our application yet, but if/when they do, I'm gonna get a spare.

Good luck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both of my tensioners are the Ford pat... No aftermarket item for me in this location. Remember these tensioners have a tension adjustment gauge on the fron of them.. Make sure when its installed the pointer is between the lines.. BTW I use the shock absorber type tensioners... One on the engine and one behind the rear seat...:sly

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I took off 2 years ago is a Motorcraft.
The one that failed last night is currently unknown. I need to figure out where I bought it. Maybe Pep Boys or Zone.
The one I bought for $106 is a Gates.

I returned the $106 Gates unit back to O'Reilly's 2 years ago because I found a better deal elsewhere.

All three of these look identical except for a few numbers in the casting which probably indicate nothing more then the build date.

I would still like to see a few pics of the housing for the exposed tensioner. I'm wondering if it's possible to convert the more expensive enclosed unit, to the exposed unit. :dunno

Might be something to think about. That's a $50 savings.:sly