banks wastegated compressor outlet temps

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to see if the often stated 300 plus degrees at 15 psi was true for the banks wastegated turbo.
So I purchased a thermocoupler/meter and placed one thermocoupler in the intake hat.
This is what I found so far.

temperature outside was 40

boost psi temp F calculated density lbs per cubic foot
0 40 .079 for reference this is what a n/a engine should see same cold air inlet.
5 140 .089
10 189 .103
15 206 .121

Biggest jump in density is from 10 to 15 psi.
I will update when warmer weather arrive to see how inlet temps reflect outlet.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
curious to see what a innercooler drops these temps to
thanks for this info!

Black dawg

Reaction score
Dont remember my numbers , but were very similar, and the intercooler took 100 deg off of that. This was using the truck hard, sustained 12+ psi.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
curious to see what a innercooler drops these temps to
thanks for this info!

temp drop will be dependent on several factors (aside from the usual outside temp)

IC size, pipe length, IC location

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work and info! Try it again at higher ambient temps. Generally speaking, IAT will rise the same amount as ambient, so at 100F, IAT should be at around 266F. It would also be useful to see the Pyro readings at the same point.

In order for this to be an apples to apples test, write down the test protocols. Make sure the engine is warmed to approximately the same point, do the test on the same stretch of road, in the same way and the same duration.

Also, everybody remember that a short acceleration spurt is one thing, a 20 mile grade with 10K behind the truck is something else. To me, seeing IAT in that scenario would be the most interesting data.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Very interesting thanks for sharing. Yes I'd imagine after a long pull up a grade the turbo would get quite heat soaked and transfer more heat to the intake at the top of the pull vs the bottom given the same psi. That is probably where an intercooler would help most.