Banks turbo question

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I have a banks that we've had for years off a auto 6.9 and mines a 4 speed.what would I have to have to make it work on my truck cause dad couldn't ever get it to work on his which was the same as mine.i also have to rebuild the turbo.can you buy kits for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
talk to russ (typ4) about the rebuild. as for bolting it on, it should fit. might need to graft some of the ppipes together to get around the trans

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without knowing the type of turbo its difficult to say if it rebuildable. For the most part they are rebuildable but if you need a shaft and hot side wheel its going to be tuff finding that. My wastegated sidewinder took about 6 months for the shop here is so cali to find the part. Be cautious with who you decide to rebuild this. Many shops are using cheap china parts. They just don't last. Russ is the person to contact really. Also might give Mel a call at Conestoga diesel in Pa.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks sent me the tech/install manuals repop from their tech dept.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I truelly don't even know if it's rebuild able I was just kinda wondering.if I do end up getting it rebuilt I'll give them a call.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely it's going to be a pain in the rear - assuming it's the old type unit with a square airbox and up pipe that goes around the driver's side of the trans, the actual cast turbo mount / up pipe assembly is different between the auto and manual. The manual one goes back a bit more before it turns down to the flange for the up pipe - this is to clear the longer bell housing on the manual. I you look at a C6 and a T-19 bell housing you'll notice that the top of the C6 is smooth and about 1/2" thick at the top... T-19 has ribs and sticks out about 1" beyond where the C6 would be. What this means is that a C6 turbo mount turns down too soon and the pipe woln't fit properly. I also believe the pipe for the C6 is 2-1/2" where as the T-19 is 2-1/4" for the same reasons. I was able to get a c6 turbo mount to work on a manual but I was also fabbing the up pipe from scratch and it wound up being an ugly bent mess.... also rubbed on the bottom of the cab.

Always worth working on, but I think that will be your sticking point. Easiest thing to o would be to find a manual turbo bracket, but that's easier said than done.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
See that's what I thought.dad said he couldn't ever get it to sit right in his truck so he took it out

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well it looks like I'm gettin a ip before a turbo because the ip is cracked.would the bull moose be ok to run intill I get a turbo

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can rebuild it if its not a wastegated banks. the old ones can have a carbon seal on the compressor which needs to be updated.
I actually have new cartridges for those.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
It's a old turbo.i think it's non waste gated but idk I'll have to go look at and take a pic of it for yall

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok back to the turbo.the ip wasn't cracked it was leaking cause a seal went out i guess.good thing I had a 7.3 with a good pump on it.we just switched the pump off it to my 6.9 runs like a champ now

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my non gated sidewinder and it was no big deal. Very straight forward really, found a kit online.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well it turns out it's not a banks it's a ats .im really not sure what at all I need.pretty much what ya see is what there is
You must be registered for see images

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Is there anyone that can rebuild ats turbos.or can I buy the stuff to rebuild it myself and what all am I missing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online