Banks turbo auto to manual, differences?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I have an '86 with a Banks turbo with rectangular air box says Sidewinder on it. Truck currently has a C6 and I will be converting to a ZF5. Does anyone know what the differences are between auto or manual on these turbos? Can I use what I have with a ZF5? Will I have to modify anything to fit? Or will I need some other parts for it made for a manual?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not going to fit, at least not easily. The big difference is the up-pipe and bracket. If you can look at the rear face of a C6 case and a T-19/ZF bellhousing - the C6 has a very smooth case that drops pretty much straight down from the top flange. The manual goes back about 1" and then drops off. The turbo bracket on the manual is a little bit longer and I think the pipe matting flange may be at a slightly different angle to allow the piping to fit around the slightly longer bellhousing. I think the up-pipe is slightly smaller (2 1/4 vs 2 1/2?) to compensate. I haven't actually tried working with a true Banks setup, but I did build the first version of my turbo setup using a Banks C6 turbo mount flange on a ZF5 truck and had a devil of a time getting it to seal because of that offset.

I've never tried exactly what you're saying, so I may be wrong, but I think the most likely way to make it work is to find a mount/up-pipe from a manual truck. Not easy, I know... sorry.

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just got in from the garage looking at the 3 different sets of hot pipes I've managed to acquire for banks kits. Everything jaluhn83 is correct, there is an early and late style automatic setup, and then a manual setup. Turbo pedestal has a different intake angle as well. I'll try to get some pics for ya.

silkyj87

Reaction score
I just installed an automatic banks kit on a 86' with a 4 speed in it. All I had to do was grind down about 4" of the support rib on the top drivers side of the bell housing everything else seemed to come right together. The pinch weld on the cab needed a little persuasion as well.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I just installed an automatic banks kit on a 86' with a 4 speed in it. All I had to do was grind down about 4" of the support rib on the top drivers side of the bell housing everything else seemed to come right together. The pinch weld on the cab needed a little persuasion as well.

I had a similar experience. I have a Wastegated Sidewinder setup. Swapped over from a C6 to a ZF-Speed. Had zero fitment issues. I only struggled removing the transmission dipstick tube since it snakes through the up-pipe. Trimmed the right side rib off the ZF housing to fit downpipe clearance. Everything else went well.

Earlier model Banks setupsmay differ but I'm not sure.

silkyj87

Reaction score
I've had no issues with a wastegated banks kit. I removed one from an auto truck and transferred it to a 4 speed truck with no issues at all other than the need to "persuade" the passenger side of the cab with a long pry bar for the down pipe to slide thru.

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

According to what I've read, top left is a late style automatic, bottom left is an early automatic (up pipe on the drivers side). The one on the right is from a ZF truck. I'll try and get some pedestal pics up when photobucket decides to start working again.

ETA: keep in mind these are for the early style non wastgated setups, the newer sidewinder may be different.

silkyj87

Reaction score
Mine was similar to the bottom left but had a slip joint for a 2 pice up pipe to the pedestal.

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ignore the mess.
Two different pedestals, early automatic on the top, and later ZF on the bottom. There may be more but these are the only two I know of.

silkyj87

Reaction score
Here is my up pipe it's kinda hard to tell but you can see where there is 2 pices wrapping up and around the transmission

Murphy21

Reaction score
so i bought a banks turbo kit with the big square air box for cheap, the guy said it was for a auto but im gonna try and put it on m 1990 f250 7.3 idi with a zf5. does anyone think that the auto pedestal will work?or will i need to try and find a manual pedestal?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
so i bought a banks turbo kit with the big square air box for cheap, the guy said it was for a auto but im gonna try and put it on m 1990 f250 7.3 idi with a zf5. does anyone think that the auto pedestal will work?or will i need to try and find a manual pedestal?

This thread is a bit over 10 years old

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Murphy21, yeah none of those guys are not around. Put your arrow on their avatar and it will show when last on line/active.

Good info in this thread, some one will come along with some additional info.

usually better to start your own Thread, and
link this thread as a reference.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
does anyone think that the auto pedestal will work?or will i need to try and find a manual pedestal?
The pedestals have to match the transmission. Manual for manual, auto for auto. The up pipes face different directions. You just can't get around that part. The auto trans up pipes that face toward the driver's side for autos does make some sense. It gives more clearance for the trans dipstick tube.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Murphy21 was cruising CDC's site, apparently they have the correct pedestal in stock. Unsure if there's anything else you'll need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7