Banks sidwinder

1993f250

Reaction score
i have a 93 idi with the banks kit with a built ip and i am hitting 18 to 20 pounds of boost. i also have an aftermarket compresser wheel in the turbo

Black dawg

Reaction score
i have a 93 idi with the banks kit with a built ip and i am hitting 18 to 20 pounds of boost. i also have an aftermarket compresser wheel in the turbo

that sounds pretty cool, what wheel did you upgrade to?
wastegated?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It doesnt need to be in the manifold, thats just were most put it.

Almost all OTR trucks have pyro's after the turbo. That way they know how hot the EGT's are at the turbo as well.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
i have an 88 7.3, its got an aftermarket turbo setup, im not sure what kind tho.. its non wastegated. i havent adjusted my IP yet, i get a decent cloud when i floor it off idle, however once the turbo starts spooling and i get moving, the cloud turns to a little bit of smoke. my pyro reads about 600 on the freeway, most ive ever seen is 900, but after i back off the throttle it drops to 600 immediately. i dont understand the 1.5 "flats" can someone explain the flats meaning? is this how many times you screw the pump screw in?

i boost 9psi WOT

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flats refers to the "flat" part of the allen key and relates to how far they have turned the adjustment screw. every flat is 1/6th of a turn if you're using something other than a standard allen key

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
oh i understand.. thanks. so what do you think about my pyro reading? what is a good amound of flat turns to try out first for increasing fuel flow?

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not as smart with these motors as some of the other guys. but, 1250 is where aluminum starts to melt. if your pyro is after your turbo it could have a HUGE effect on the readings and how accurate they are. the fuel screw is a ***** to get to/see. but i truthfully wouldnt go more than 1-1.5 turns between test drives. its much easier to just remove the front access plate to the IP gears and use the timing mark than to watch as you turn the motor over.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
I'm just trying to grasp the idea of the ip gears and thi screw I need to turn.. I havent done this yet so I'm trying to visualize what I'm about to need to do.. so there are timing marks visible once I remove this plate?

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i take no responsibilty for what you do to your truck with any of this info

On the passenger side of IP there is a triangular plate held on by two small bolts. put a small pan under the ip before removing it. under this plate is a hole, in that hole is an allen head "screw". its a 5/32nds if i believe. that screw is only visible at one point though. the EASIEST way to find this spot is to pull the cover that is under your oil fill neck off. under that cover is 3 bolts, and 1 timing mark. when that timing mark is at 12 o'clock the screw *should* be visible. to see the actual screw you'll need a mirror and a flashlight. its in a real crappy place to see from any angle. if you turn the screw IN it adds fuel. turning it OUT gives less fuel. i know there is a really nice writeup somewhere but im a lazy bum and wont look it up

DragRag

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb for max temp for any extended period of time at all with the probe after the turbo is 950 degrees. Yes on 1250 at the exhaust manifold, but 950 is the the number after the turbo. Risk melt down if not....

9779scott

Reaction score
So as I said I went 2 falts and that helped alot. Ever since then the truck has a growel when under load, that it did not have before. Any ideas? Could it because the timing is alittle off? also still not getting the MPG I should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online