Banks non wastegated turbo question....

91flatbed

Reaction score
I`ve been working on installing my early banks non wastegated turbo set up, and have had a heck of a time getting my up pipes to all line up. The guy i purchased the setup from must have tied to the pipe and pulled it out instead off unbolting it, nothing wanted to line up. Well after many cuss words-cuss, and some help from the torch heating the pipes to straighten them back, i finally got them on. Was able to all most drop in the down pipe, which really surprised me, then i got to mounting the turbo thats where my problems begin. The turbo will not bolt up because it is hitting the firewall. What am i missing, or am i not doing:dunno ? I thought once the pipe headache was over it would be all down hill. WRONG!!! Ive been reading in the installation manual, and it doesnt say anything about making any room:backoff: in the firewall for the turbo. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a tight fit, but it shouldn't hit anything. Only thing I can think if is something is interfering with the mount such that it's not hugging tight against the back of the engine?

91flatbed

Reaction score
I`ve checked for any obstructions, nothing seems to be touching anywhere except the top of the cold side of the turbo is hitting the firewall just below the vacuum hoses. not sure what is causing it tho. Would like to find some pictures of one that has been installed just to see, and get a fill for how it is supposed to look.

gandalf

Reaction score
The best picture I have of that early turbo is about the same. It may give some help, so I'll post it anyway. It's the early Banks turbo in an '86'

Attachments

• 2005_1017_060145.JPG
    2005_1017_060145.JPG
    822.2 KB · Views: 123

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anybody who says you don't have to beat the crap out of the firewall is FOS. the early Banks kits was a bear to remove let alone a first time install.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A body lift wll help a lot here. I have a 3 inch but two would be fine, 1 might be enough. I feel your pain on getting the exhaust pipes to line up. Been there done that.

91flatbed

Reaction score
I knew this was gonna be a tough install, but i never dreamed it would be anything like this. I`ll probably take the hammer and free up a little space, as opposed to a body lift. Slowly but surely everything is coming together. Heres where i am up to this point. I took the 7.3 all the way down to the crank and started back. New bearings, rings, gaskets, had valves reground and backs polished. Had the heads opened up just a little. New injectors, glow plugs, new glow plug relay. I figured since international built these engines, it needed a coat international harvester red paint. All the pulleys and accessories are painted gloss black. As for exhaust, i have a 4" diamond eye exhaust, straight pipe no muffler. Can`t wait to get everything with the turbo finished, to see how much difference its gonna make in the way the truck pulls.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your body mounts are shot or rotted out you will have more of a problem. "Messaging":backoff the firewall will help too.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
anybody who says you don't have to beat the crap out of the firewall is FOS. the early Banks kits was a bear to remove let alone a first time install.

X2!!!!!!!!!

I have the non gated kit and hate the install. You have to clearance the firewall and to do it without running out of cuss word soliloquoes you really need a second person to help with the install.

Keeping the exhaust loose until everything is all fitted does help.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shouldn't have been so certain about the fitment. The damn thing came in the truck when I bought it, and I just didn't see any BFH handiwork when I had it off. I did see that the flange where the cab was welded was bent back a bit.

I have the manual somewhere that I got from another ob member; pm me your email if you want a copy and I'll try and find it when I get home tomorrow night.

stacy santens

Reaction score
Im installing mine right now I have no Manuel im just winging it I got the oil line hooked up to what I think was right. Fired the truck up an it started blowing oil out of both ends of the turbo so now im looking for a rebuild kit

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After working on my 88...^^^^ WHAT HE SAID

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flange is a standard T3, so most other turbos will fit on the inlet side, though the oil drain, downpipe & compressor piping may not fit.

Are you sure the turbo is correct for that truck? The early banks units were different between manual & auto, and may have differences in years as well. The big difference between them is the design of the turbo mount bracket / exhaust elbow at the top of the up pipe, but I think there's piping size differences as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online