Bad timing cause overheating?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you read I replaced my ip, injectors, and returns last night. Truck runs great but I just set the timing by the mark. I know it’s off as I get a bit of white smoke at idle. But my concern is now going up a hill when I am giving it some juice I notice my coolant temps start to climb instantly. Can the retarded timing cause the temp spike like that or maybe even advanced? I set the pump just a lines width advanced

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine might be running a little hotter with a new IP & injectors, especially if the old setup was worn. Probably normal.
I would look into your cooling system. Radiator, OEM thermostat, & water pump. If your running the original stock radiator, that might explain it. They don’t typically last 25 years & get clogged up with deposits.
These engines should always be running at around 190-200. Anything more than that during normal driving poses a problem. That goes for oil temp as well.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes timing affects your engines overal heat, incorrect timing both advanced and retarded can cause this symptom but it sounds like yours is retarded