Bad Jasper engine.

Reaction score
My in-laws bought my wife a new crate 351W from Jasper about a year ago as a Christmas or birthday gift for her F250. I was angry on one hand because that totally shot the Cummins swap I was planning. But on the other, it was a lot less work for me because they paid a shop to do the work. Well, ever since it as been one problem after another. I was against getting a new engine and not doing anything with the original 1996 electronics. So, when we started having problems I was chasing electrical issues. The truck always ran rough and for the life of me I could not find the problem. I never thought to look for an internal problem with the engine. Hey, it is a new engine so there is no reason to check the compression, right? The other night I was at a friends shop and asked him to check it out. In five minutes he found two, yes TWO dead cylinders. Oh, and it has been in the shop several times for other install related issues. So now, we see what Jasper is going to do about it. If they make it right and give us a rental while the truck is down, then I am good with them.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
so, take the valve covers off and figure out which cylinders fire fire by baring the engine over and observing the valves. check the same in the previous engine.
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 for 351, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 for 302.

I don't mess with windsors that much, but this seems like something that'd be quick to check

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
of course you also said, that a shop was paid to install this. they should have some form of warranty for the engine/installation.

Reaction score
The shop that did the install is pure trash. They did things I would never think aby one would do to a customer's truck. I thought the problems we were having was becuase of thier install. But after another shop corrected the mistakes it still ran rough but better. The shop doing the work now seems to be a quality place that does good work.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trucks use 15426378 firing order especially if the engine has a flat tappet camshaft.
are the two dead cylinders next to eachother? could be a blown gasket.
Also two dead cylinders could also be a wiped out cam lobe.
Does it pop under hard throttle?
Jasper usually good with thier product's

Javier

Reaction score
One on each side. Other than a real rouhg idle and a lack of power I did nto see or feel any major proplems. The onle really strange thing is when we put it in reverse it would almost die.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it blow out black smoke? AKA run rough, lopey, if it does the MAP sensor could be bad or the vacuum hose going to it may be leaking or cracked, check the entire hose, they usually get soft.

Javier

Reaction score
I did repair and rplace some vacuum line the first shop ignored. But all the elctronics checked out. The coes it was throwing was becuase the first shop made a block off plate for the EGR then re-installed it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was given a 1979 Ford LTD with a freshly Rebuilt engine in it that they could not make run. I found no compression in any cylinders. Turns out that whoever did the heads sunk the valves too deep, and with a non adjustable valve train this was holding the valves open. I shimmed the rockers with washers and drove it a couple years. It ran great!

I got tired of that car so I sold it to a friend.

The crankshaft broke about 6 weeks later.LOL

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trucks use 15426378 firing order especially if the engine has a flat tappet camshaft.
are the two dead cylinders next to eachother? could be a blown gasket.
Also two dead cylinders could also be a wiped out cam lobe.
Does it pop under hard throttle?
Jasper usually good with thier product's

ford 351w never used the 15426378 firing order, either in a car or truck.
the 5.0ho and the 351w always used a 13726548 firing order. now 92 up f150s used the 13726548 firing order as well, either flat tappet or roller, and i have seen it in person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726