Bad IP?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I picked up a '84 f350 2wd dually reg. cab for a couple hundred $ last week. I replaced glow plugs (thanks AutoZone for the beru's;Sweet ) and orings and lines. The problem is that no matter what it won't fire w/o ether. I can plug it in for hours and no change. Fire it up, let it run till it's warm, good to go right? Wrong. Even after its up to operating temp, it still won't start w/o a shot. Once it starts it run good. But it won;t start. Cranks like a mother, say 500 rpm. Timing is at marks lined up. Clear hoses on the returns with no bubbles. Glows stay on for 10-12 sec. I'm at a loss...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the IP is worn out and not creating enough pressure to fire the injectors at cranking RPM's. I can't think of anything else that would prevent both hot and cold starting.

Maybe try holding the accelerator wide open to get a little more fuel in each stroke. Probably won't help but worth a shot.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a POS pump OR the timing could be way too far advanced or retarded. Probably a tooth or more off on the gear. When that happens it just seems impossible to get things working together right...cause it is until you fix that. Good luck,
JD

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the lift pump getting fuel to the IP while cranking? I had a stall/no start problem that I chased for weeks that ended up being a lift pump. That was before I found this place....

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Well, I had the front cover off to check timing, everything was good. Turns out that the glow controller wasn't holding the plugs on long enough to light it off. I manually jumped the relay for a twelve second shot and it fired. Sounds like a manual button fix to me. Thanks for the ideas guys

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You don't need glow plugs for warm starting.

You may have a combination of faulty glow plugs plus a worn out IP.

Uh, I don't agree with that based on my truck. You can have it 200 degrees, shut it down and crank and crank before it "might" fire off. Let the glow plugs do their thing, even if it is just 4 seconds and she'll light off with less than a revolution. I have heard this before, but my truck does not work that way, so I assume there are others. My timing IS correct, as verified by the four meters that went through my hands and my truck runs great once started. Hot or cold, it acts almost the same other than the glow cycle is shorter when hot. Block heater, same thing, even though the temp may show 120 or so, it will still crank and crank before starting (if it will start at all) without the glow plugs cycling.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well some trucks are diff. With my 91 I can cruise around town and onces its warm, I can shut it off and start again without the GP heating up... I often jump in and fire it up going from store to store :D

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my 6.9, even on a 0 degree day, I can shut it down, leave it sit for an hour, and it'll crank right up without glows. I know of 2 other ones locally with significantly more miles than mine, and , both of them even need glows for hot starts after a couple hours in the summer.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its pump pressure and injector leak down. Just like the 6.2's if the conditions are optimum in one of the two categories such as injection pressure into the cylinder, and or the temp at point of injection they can be a hog to start. Fixed many old oil burners with the same symptoms

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my 6.9, even on a 0 degree day, I can shut it down, leave it sit for an hour, and it'll crank right up without glows. I know of 2 other ones locally with significantly more miles than mine, and , both of them even need glows for hot starts after a couple hours in the summer.

Same here, I can come back an hour later in the dead of winter and the motor will fire right up without lighting the glow plugs.

I apologize for giving inaccurate advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US